Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does grabbing access rights to end user folders have negative impact.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 willie6973

willie6973

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:29 PM

System Win7 SP1 64 bit, up to date.

UAC on - regular users and administrative users.

I am logged on as administrator.

Got a potentially unwanted program (PUP) warning from Emsisoft Anti-Malware “C:\Users\Kathy\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\1.mp3 detected: Trojan.MP3.Tobfy (A)”

So I try to look at the file (PUP)*, using explorer to navigate; When I double click on AppData  I get the following message:

“ You don't currently have permission to access this folder.

Click continue to permanently get access to this folder. “

QUESTION - Will I harm (have I cause it is done) the system or end user (owner?) of this folder if I proceed and gain access to the folders (folders because this repeats as I drill down).

e.g. will their user experience change any / significantly because administrator now has full control over these folders?

Any comments on the wisdom of this protocol or preferred alternatives is appreciated.  

* My main motivation is to upload to virustotal  - not just look at the file.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:43 PM

The denial of access is the problem protecting itself.

Rather than get an opinion from virus total I'd be looking at the way to remove the file and any other trash it brought into my system, then I might consider doing other things

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 willie6973

willie6973
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:08 PM

I can see how it could be malware protecting itself.  However I thought this was standard / default rights management protocol.   Because,  In theory the administrator is not supposed to be able to list / view all (any) of ordinary) users files or folders.  The administrator can certainly grab the rights to do so at any time; even delete or move all of a users files.   

It is sort of  described in:

When you click Continue for folder access in Windows Explorer, your user account is added to the ACL for the folder

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950934

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users