Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Winzip has locked out my administrator account

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 doc37324

doc37324

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:15 PM

WinZip 15.0 came with other software that came with a mp3 player I bought. WinZip will not allow me install/uninstall/update some software on my pc. Every time I try to install a new program the following is displayed on pc: The system administrator has set policies to prevent this un/instillation.  You do not have sufficient access to uninstall WINZIP 15.0. Please contact your system administrator.

I am the system administrator and this what I tried so far; Uninstalling from the control panel, changing the attributes under properties and deleting the folder nothing has been able to remove winzip15.

The only thing that I have not tried is to delete winzip using Regedit. I've looked on the web and seen that I'm not the only that has had this problem. 

What is the correct way to remove WINZIP 15.0 from my system

thanks

doc37324 

Edited by hamluis, 13 June 2014 - 12:18 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to AII - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:09 PM

doc37324:

NO OFFENSE, but I find it hard to believe that the REAL WINZIP, downloaded from winzip.com is the guilty party (I know you said it came with an MP player you bought).  I've been using winzip since "day one" (in 1991), and I've never had issues with it, and I'm currently on version 17.5.  It is my opinion that the "winzip" that you mention, and also from your search on the Internet, that it is a malware look a like, not the authentic winzip.

That being said, I think that you're infected.  My research indicates that there is a "fake WinZip Registry Optimizer" out there.  I downloaded all products that I could from winzip.com, and none of them gave me a problem whatsoever, including uninstalling.  Based on that, take a look at:

http://www.technicalforum.org/windows/how-remove-winzip-registry-optimizer-malware

This is the first time I've been to that site, and I can't tell you how legitimate they are, so follow the procedure at your own risk.

Also have you tried Revo Uninstaller?  Although I only experimented with it once or twice, I've heard other say it is really good.

Also, have you attempted to run the uninstall program directy, using right click, run as admin?

Best of luck.

#3 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:46 PM

In the event that the above advice doesn't work or you want to move over to the protected forum and get expert help cleaning your system, post a reply to that effect and a moderator will get you moved.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#4 doc37324

doc37324
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:52 AM

Need help from an expert may be moved over to the protected forum.

doc37324

Mod Edit:  Moved to Am I Infected from Win 7 per OP request - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 13 June 2014 - 12:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users