Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unwanted audio

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ed Brassard

Ed Brassard

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:56 AM

Commercial audio, audio commercials,  play randomly.  How can I block it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:04 PM

You could always mute your speakers.  You didn't give any details about what you're running, so we can't give any specifics.  However this happens to me when I start a whole lot of browser tasks, and one of them starts an ad or some other junk I don't want.  If you don't want to mute your speakers, you just have to go through a process of elimination to find out which one's doing it.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Ed Brassard

Ed Brassard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:37 PM

Thank you, but I usually listen to local public radio while I work on the computer.  I am running Windows 8.  Using Internet Explorer as a browser. And I haven't a clue how to "go thru a process of elimination."  It seems that everyone but me has control of my computer these days.  This should be illegal because it interrupts my work and ruins my concentration.  "Lysol" is the most frequent culprit.  I called the company and the person who handled the complaint claimed they weren't responsible.  Well, that's just a lie, but I still can't stop it.  Sorry, I just vented a bit. 

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:53 PM

By "Process of elimination" I mean going through all the browser tasks you have open and canceling them one by one until you find the culprit.  Personally I think 99% of all ads are obnoxious and the world would be a much more enjoyable place without them.  However it would be a much more expensive place too unfortunately.  

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:05 PM

Try using a ferrite core filter to suppress the RF.  Attach one to the power cord of the PSU.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:14 PM

dc3 while a ferrite core might help with interference related sound the original poster is requesting assistance with advertisements that are playing while they are listening to streaming radio.  It is unclear if the ads are playing during the program or over the top of the radio broadcast.

Ed Brassard check and see if you have additional tabs or browser windows open that may be playing these sounds.  There is also the possibility that the machine is infected, however I would doubt it due to the Lysol ads.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:33 PM

Kilroy,  almost all of the times that I've run across this it has been RF interference.  You are talking about a two dollar part to stop this if this is the case.  This can save you a lot of time trying to trace it down.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:07 PM

There is an audio ads malware. Your best bet is to open a virus removal assistance topic:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

#9 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 571 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:41 PM

FWIW I had this experience after adding an Earthlink "personal homepage" to the tabs in the Chrome browser.  The page was infested with ads, many of which were videos with sound.  The sound continued to play even when the video was not on the part of the screen I was viewing, and I think even when I was in a different tab.  Loading SpywareBlaster did not get rid of the ads or the sound; but loading the MVPS "hosts" file eliminated videos and sound completely.  Note that if you are using Windows Defender you have to change a DNS setting - I think that is explained on the MVPS site.  I am using third party security software (Avast! Internet Security) and AFAIK Windows Defender is automatically disabled when such is installed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users