Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Public Wifi

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 davey crockett

davey crockett

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:24 AM

Hello everyone

I need to post to a forum to do with my relatives workplace,  her workplace is a medical office, and there is a high level of incompetence there imho. I wish to make (some of it) public to alert the public, No Slander.  The forum I want to post on tracks ip's, so I will not post anything from my home network. If I take my laptop to a location with public wifi -  can I still be tracked by going anonymously on this particular forum website? My primary question is: Does my laptop leave identification leading to myself when I use a public wifi to access one web site?

Sorry to be wordy, I am not breaking any laws here. I just need to know before I post on the forum for her work, so that I know it is about as anonymous as one can get.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:15 PM

I don't have all the answers, but I can tell you that (1) you'll need to set your network up not to broadcast your SSID since anyone on a public network with you can see it otherwise, and (2) anything you've set up to be shared can be seen by others if you have file and printer sharing enabled.  I'm sure there're other considerations as well, but those are two I know you'd want to worry about.  You might want to get an inexpensive tablet you haven't put any personal info on, then do it from there.  I've seen android tablets as cheap as $40; they're not blazingly fast to put it mildly, but they'd do what you want to do.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,282 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:08 PM

Does my laptop leave identification leading to myself when I use a public wifi to access one web site?

Yes, your web browsers can send two tons of information about your machine.  You might want to take a look or listen to Security Now! - Episode 270 - The Evercookie.  There is no true way to be anonymous on the Internet, if someone really want to find out.

#4 davey crockett

davey crockett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:27 PM

Yes, I gather there is no true anonymity on the internet, especially with revelations from Snowden et al. I prefer not to have my ip address floating around for long in the case I described above. What I was getting at (and I suppose that answer is obvious) is that with public wifi, the only ip associated is the public one, regardless of how many pcs may be using it at a given moment.

#5 liontaur

liontaur

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:34 PM

I'd suggest spoofing your MAC address to something completely different from what it actually is. This is possible in most OSes, not so much on tablets and phones though.

Another suggestion is to run a live-cd distro and do your posting from within that as that would effectively change your user agent string. 

Using some proxy service would be a good idea too as that adds another level of complexity.

Lastly, you want to ensure that your post doesn't sound like you... perceptive people can sometimes figure out that someone they know has written something, or likely written something based on how it's written. Like if you always spell some word incorrectly or if you use some word frequently. Punctuation is another tell sometimes. You would be surprised. I can tell from your two posts here that you have a good-sized vocabulary so possibly well educated but that you often don't capitalize acronyms. Imagine what someone who actually knows what they're doing can do with more of your writing.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:01 PM

You cannot be traced or identified directly by your IP address unless you have a static one, and if you are using a public access point you will not have a static IP address - you will be using the one the ISP, whoever they are, supplies for the duration of your connection. Once you have ended that connection, that IP address is available for the next user who asks for one.

However ISPs in most countries are required, at a mininum, to keep a log of who their IP addresses are assigned to, so big brother can always find out who said what to whom and when. And do you not have to log on to your public access point ?  I would not expect a forum to keep IP addresses for the purpose of physically tracking down their users, more for the purpose of banning improper use of their forum.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users