Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Am I hireable in the IT field?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nanofox

Nanofox

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:23 AM

I currently work at a small startup company, however I have decided that there is no place for advancement here and I worry that the company will not likely survive the next 5 years. I plan to move to California within the next year in hopes to begin a career the IT field.

In the company my job as sort of a jack of all trades mostly in the IT Field. I have my bachelor in the school of business, but my passion has always been in computers. During my 3 years I have worked for this company I have self-taught myself to program and design Access databases and I created a custom database that is the backbone of the production, distribution and operations for the company. I designed the database based on a SAP system which I studied in college. I also designed the company’s website and online store. I also have experiences in marketing, desktop publishing, SEO, and computer repair.

I had some training in college on a variety of computer skills; however a majority of my skills were learned before or after college. I do know some basic things about SAP and SQL and I plan on studying those subjects more during this year while I prepare for moving. I have not had much exposure to Java or C++, however I plan on studying those as well.

The question is despite my lack of formal training do I even have a shot of getting hired for an entry level IT job, preferably in databasing? I have one year to brush up my skills, what are the most important skills I can learn within that time?

Edited by Nanofox, 06 June 2014 - 10:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:45 PM

Maybe.  The business degree should serve you well.  Personally I wouldn't move without a job, unless you have some sort of plan on where you will live and how you will pay your bills.

I will tell you that you will benefit from formal training and standard practices.  Doing things without the proper training may get the job done, but it probably isn't done the way it should be, training and experience are how you will learn these things.

For example, you have developed their online presence and web store, how secure is it?  Is user account information protected?  Are user names and passwords stored in a salted and hashed database?

Have you documented the work that you have done?  If you were hit by a truck on the way home could someone come in and pick up where you left off?

I do not know if you could get a job as a database designer or administrator.  I worked for a company where all databases had to be created on an SQL server so that they could be properly supported.  I can't tell you the number of Access databases that someone, who is no longer with the company, created failed to document and became critical, at least to the people using them, for daily work.

Having a Database Certification would go a long ways towards getting a job in the field.  It will also give you an idea of where your skill set is lacking.

#3 Nanofox

Nanofox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:29 PM

Thank you for the advice, yes I am not planning on moving out there until it is nearly a surefire thing.

Although I have had great success with my own endeavors with my database, I am sure it is not programmed to the level of someone who had formal training. It is hard to say whether or not someone would be able to take over for me and expand upon my database should something happen to me, as there are not many people in this area with this kind of knowledge.

As for the online presence saying I designed it from scratch might be a bit of a stretch, although the content, layout, and promotion I did myself, I used premade hosting sites for the store and the base of the site.

I suppose I better reevaluate my plan, being a big fish in a small pond more or less I would be considered fairly advanced here. However over in LA I might not be worth the dirt I stand on. Sadly on the other hand the company I work for has basically had me focus on the IT side of things rather than the business making it even harder to market myself in that way.

I feel as if I am not really that far off from having a marketable understanding database design I just feel I need some more training. I am just not sure I have the money or the access to the right people.

Thank you again, it has given me quite a lot to think about.

Edited by Nanofox, 06 June 2014 - 02:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users