Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Computer - Transferring Documents, Software, etc./ What to do with old one?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:45 AM

Hello. I have a new laptop that should arrive in the next few days. What is the easiest way to transfer documents, photos, songs, files, software, etc. from the current laptop to the new one?

My current computer is an HP running Vista. All of my documents are stored in my Documents folder and Outlook PST files are kept in the Documents folder, too. I back it up to an external hard drive and I back up to the same external drive photos and My Music.

The new laptop is also an HP but it will have Windows 7. I think all I need do is replace the Documents, Music, Pictures folders in the new computer with the relevant folders from the external drive. Is this correct?

I'm running some outdated software - notably Office and Quickbooks. I'll have to buy those replacements, but I can save some money by not buying the most current editions but buying older versions that run on Windows 7 as used software. (I think that's what I did when I upgraded to my current computer years ago.)

After I'm sure everything is on the new laptop what should I do with the current laptop? Should I keep it just in case I need it or should I junk it (after erasing the harddrive)?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:01 AM

Window Easy Transfer is the Microsoft recommended method to move your data from your old machine to your new machine.

Restoring your data to the C:\Users\YOURUSER, where YOURUSER is replaced with your user account name, will also work.

For updating your software it is up to you.  I personally prefer to keep up to date.  You may need support to update your data files to a newer version of the software and purchasing used software may not include support.  Some software companies have made reselling their products difficult, if not impossible.  Your mileage may vary.

For the current laptop, what you do with it is up to you.  I would highly recommend keeping it for at least 90 days after your new machine is up and running.  Normally if you're going to have a hardware failure it will happen in the first 90 days.  After that you can either sell or give away your machine.   It does not seem like there are any issues with it.   Wiping the drive and performing a restore will allow someone else to use it.  Or you can Freecycle to a new home.

#3 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:30 PM

Why do you have to transfer the whole bulk of your data to the new one all at once? What I would do, I'll just put the important ones on USB flashdrive and leave everything else in the old laptop and just move the other files on demand. You don't wanna slow down you new PC by stuffing it with unnecessary files. Keep the old laptop as a backup when your new one run into problems. You can use the old laptop to get online and ask for help or download necessary drivers, etc., for the new laptop if something is not working right.

Congrats on your new system.

Cheers!

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#4 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 927 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:04 AM

Thanks for the advice. I can't wait to get the new laptop!

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:25 PM

You may want to consider running Decrapifier before load other stuff, it can be found in the down load section.

Edited by OldPhil, 07 June 2014 - 05:30 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:58 PM

Your current version of Office may well work on Windows 7.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/is-office-xp-compatible-with-windows-7/abbe2f98-569e-4123-b0c7-2eb785f13315

I also agree that keeping your old laptop for the reasons mentioned would be a good idea, particularly if it's your only other computer. If you are at all interested in Linux, you could use it to experiment with suitable Linux operating systems.

If OTOH you already have an additional computer and you don't envisage using your old laptop again, I would either sell it or donate it to charity as there are many folk who would use it.

Edited by Al1000, 08 June 2014 - 05:02 PM.

#7 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 927 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:49 PM

Okay. I now have the new computer up and running.It's running Windows 7 64 bit. The old computer is running Vista 64 bit.

Should I use Windows Easy Transfer? If so I'll have to buy a special cable.

or

Should I just back up to my external hard drive and then transfer from there to the new laptop.

I'll transfer documents, photos, My Music. Anything else I'll need?

Thanks.

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:21 PM

If you have a home network you can do the Easy Transfer over the network and don't need a special cable.

You can also back up C:\Users\YOURACCOUNT where YOURACCOUNT is your account name.  You shouldn't need to restore the AppData folder, but may need some of what is in it.

#9 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 927 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:38 PM

How do I do it over my wifi network?

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:52 PM

Take a few minutes to read about file and print sharing it is pretty easy.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users