Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 32-bit, Hard drive, "Unable to connect to Virtual Disk..."

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ursanbear

ursanbear

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:32 AM

The issue started when I my workstation started working very sluggishly and I tried to perform a state restore, when I couldn't do that (got a  "System restore encountered an error....(0x81000203)) so I decided to perform a repair install.  As it starts, I get this:

"Windows could not retrieve information about the disks on this computer"

So, I do a little digging and when I go to device manager for the drive (1 TB WD) I can't see any volume information for the drive.

No biggie just wander over to "Disk Management" where I get an "Unable to connect to Virtual Disk Service"

Must be stopped one would think.  But it's not, running just as it should.

I spent the last several hours looking for solutions and everything points Virtul Disk Service, but as I said, it's running.

I've halted AV and firewall services, I've run SFC /SCANNOW a few times (continuing to do so until all errors are cleared)  I've run chkdsk /r

I'm unable to do a system restore presumably for the same reason so I can't go back a week or two before this all started.

The only other symptom is that my windows installer service won't stay running. 

I'm not in a position to do an RnR right now but I would like to resolve this as soon as possible.

Attached File  Capture1.PNG   2.73KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Capture2.PNG   5.59KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Capture3.PNG   46.07KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Capture4.PNG   60.33KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:54 PM

I'd back up any data I didn't want to lose and restore to factory settings.

When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $60 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus Todo Backup Free.  That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users