The issue started when I my workstation started working very sluggishly and I tried to perform a state restore, when I couldn't do that (got a "System restore encountered an error....(0x81000203)) so I decided to perform a repair install. As it starts, I get this:
"Windows could not retrieve information about the disks on this computer"
So, I do a little digging and when I go to device manager for the drive (1 TB WD) I can't see any volume information for the drive.
No biggie just wander over to "Disk Management" where I get an "Unable to connect to Virtual Disk Service"
Must be stopped one would think. But it's not, running just as it should.
I spent the last several hours looking for solutions and everything points Virtul Disk Service, but as I said, it's running.
I've halted AV and firewall services, I've run SFC /SCANNOW a few times (continuing to do so until all errors are cleared) I've run chkdsk /r
I'm unable to do a system restore presumably for the same reason so I can't go back a week or two before this all started.
The only other symptom is that my windows installer service won't stay running.
I'm not in a position to do an RnR right now but I would like to resolve this as soon as possible.