Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading my CPU and GPU...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 nando99

nando99

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:21 AM

current system: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/h0Ig6yvGSujSjnYoexr2GIF

I put in my mobo in pcpartpicker and looked up compatible hardware, this is what I came up with: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GVXLwP

thoughts?

will it work? 

worth it? 

any information is appreciated, thanks!

Edited by nando99, 06 June 2014 - 10:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:33 PM

Will it work?  The CPU appears to be supported by the motherboard (with BIOS version 1.7 or higher).  The GTX 780 is a large card (10.5" length) so it will need a roomy case.  It also will need a high quality power supply with a 6 pin and 8 pin PCIe connector.  I'd suggest looking at high quality PSU's in the region of 600w or more.

Worth it?  Personally I wouldn't put that sort of money into a CPU for a dead platform (Socket 1156).  If there's one going cheap somewhere then maybe?  CPU's get improved over time and the current i7-4770K will trounce the old i7-875k, but it requires a new motherboard.  The GTX 780 is obviously a high end and expensive video card.  What are you using it for?  Unless I'm missing something you have an ATI Juniper based card without the proper drivers installed at the moment?  It's using standard VGA driver according to Speccy and set to a lower resolution.  Any reason for that?

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users