Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Testdisk lists a bunch of nonsense partitions and one REAL partition. What to do

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 777funk

777funk

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:09 AM

I just had a major catastrophe and lost my backup while rebuilding my dual boot (Ubuntu 12.04 and XP) machine. This drive was a 3TB internal backup drive (only data, no boot, and no OS's). I formatted it NFTS and had to format as a 2TB drive (used Acronis). Anyways, I got all the data I needed then foolishly tried to format the missing remainder of the drive in Windows so it'd also be usable. Anyways, it messed with the partition information when I did this and bye bye drive folder.

I was able to go to TestDisk and after doing a "Deeper Search" found the data (saving it as we speak). But now I'd like to make the disk readable again. There's only one real partition (the NFTS partition) and a bunch of nonsense partitions or duplicates of the good one. Being unfamiliar with Testdisk, what would I do in order to restore the one real partition? Here's a screen capture of what I've got (see testdisk_goodpartition.JPG). The one with the arrow is the real partition and the rest show "Can't open filesystem" when I press 'p' to show files.

What would be done to get the real partition to become useable again? I'm guessing based on this tutorial thread link, I'd use the right arrow key until there's a P next to this for "primary partition" on that one and leave NO letter by the others, then hit "Write". But I don't know the program well enough to be confident that this is correct and to hit "Write". There are other options L=Logical, D=Deleted that I'm not sure about. Edit: reading more, it looks like maybe L is the correct option... I'm guessing here so any tips would be great! 

thanks!!

Attached Files

Edited by 777funk, 06 June 2014 - 07:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:02 AM

Just to be clear. You have found the Partition using Deeper Search and when using "P" you are able to list all of the files on the partition and are now copying over the files to another drive, correct?

I am going out for a bit but should be back. What is confusing are all those linux partitions.You may want to read Test Disk Step by Step for additional info  I missed your second link.

One thing. Xp cannot detect a GPT disk so the disk will have to be partitioned MBR which means 768GB will be unallocated. Paragon has a GPT driver for XP but I have not used it. This would let you get full 3 TB access  under XP.

Edit: Looking at the image the first NTFS partition listed should be Primary but I am not sure about the other two. Both have a Zero Cylinder which is where a Primary Partition would be but the Heads are at 32 and 33 with the sectors at 33 and 40. From Testdisk "A logical partition's start is usually a non-null cylinder, head 1, sector 1. The first primary partition usually starts at cylinder 0, head 1, sector 1. Additional primary partitions are starting at a non-nul cylinder, head 0, sector 1". None of the your listed partitions do this.

This is such an unusual case, I would recommend you post in the TestDisk forum. They would have more experience dealing with this kind of problem. Or, we can try bringing the partition structure back. If it fails, we can always repartition and format the drive but you will still have the unallocated space as a MBR disk can only recognize 2TB. Let me know in your next post what you wish.

If you decide to go to the Testdisk forum, please keep us posted on the outcome.

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 June 2014 - 10:19 AM.

#3 777funk

777funk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:20 AM

Well most (if not all of the important) of the data has been saved. So that's a big huge sigh of relief. 

I actually tried to sign up in the test disk forum and my ip is blocked for some odd reason. So no go there. 

Thanks for the reply by the way. Test disk really took a lot of the headache out of this!

I suppose at this point, even if I destroy the partitions on the 3TB, it's ok since I have most of the data.

Edited by 777funk, 06 June 2014 - 10:21 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,998 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:27 AM

Okay, this is what I would do, I would first mark the 3rd NTFS partition that starts at Sector 40 as deleted by highlighting and pressing D. I would then mark the Good partition as Primary. Then I would write a new partition table. I am not sure about all the Linux Partitions or that First NTFS partition. If they should be marked as deleted or not.  We can delete those later if writing the partition table and rebooting does not solve the problem.

#5 777funk

777funk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:48 PM

Got it! And thanks for the advice!

I ended up marking the one highlighted with a P and hitting enter. And... it's a good partition again!

Thanks a lot for the help. This is the first time I've had to use Test Disk and what a relief.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,998 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:06 PM

Glad you got it sorted out. Thanks for the update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users