Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sluggish, buggy performance

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jurgen283

Jurgen283

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:29 AM

My computer is running slowly and with a number of seemingly-random bugs and tics. It freezes from time to time, applications can fail to launch, etc. I ran registry recycler, and malwarebytes, and deleted a bunch of unused programs, but I'm still having enough issues that I'd appreciate some advice.

While writing lectures in Open Office, my computer freezes often, and Open Office crashes probably once every hour of usage. I already erased Open Office and reinstalled that program, same issue.

I have an ASUS S400CA, x64-base, Intel (dual core?) i3-3217U @ 1.80ghz, Windows 8.1 (version 6.3.9600 build 9600).

I suspect I do have some viruses, but perhaps I'm just having performance issues. I'm running Registry Recycler's defrag program tonight, but I'd appreciate any advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:00 PM

I'd download MalwareBytes, install it, and get it up to date.  Then I'd boot to Safe Mode and let it do a full system scan.  After that I'd do a full system scan with my antivirus program while still in Safe Mode.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:31 PM

Registry Recycler is a registry cleaner.  Bleeping Computer does not support the use of registry cleaners.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,974 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:34 PM

Even though you say that you have run Malwarebytes, you believe your system may still be infected. In which case the best thing to do is for you to post a new topic in the 'Am I infected?' section of BC and deal with any malware problems before going onto possible installation problems. I appreciate this is frustrating for you, but if malware is at the root of your problems it really needs to be addressed first otherwise the problems will keep re-occurring. You will find this article helpful in preparing a post to 'Am I infected? :-

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/41987/before-you-post-about-a-problem/

One other minor point, you say you have and are using 'Registry recycler'. I second Agouti's point and this is the official script on the subject !

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for a several reasons:

:trumpet: Registry cleaners can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines. Many users (including some Staff Members) have reported problems after using registry cleaning tools - to include those tools released by Microsoft. This can cause your system to become unbootable.

:flowers: Registry cleaners generally don't do anything significant for your system. This topic discusses it in greater detail than we could address here: http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=61015 Although the topic discusses the XP registry, the concepts there apply to all other versions of Windows.

:thumbsup: Not all registry cleaners create a backup of your registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting/logging in, then there's no backup to restore in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users