Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nvidia Geforce GT430 Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ExJan

ExJan

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:19 AM

I have Nvidia Geforce GT430 2GB Vga card.

Specificaitons from the nvidia web site says it's memory bandwidth is 25.6 - 28.8 GB/s.

But mine is only showing 19.2 GB/s.

Capture.png

Why is it showing 19.2 instead of 25.6 or 28.8 ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,087 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:47 AM

Because the memory on your card is DDR3 clocked at 600mhz (1200mhz effective).  The specs on the Nvidia site are for memory clocked at 800-900mhz (1600-1800mhz effective).  The memory bandwidth is directly related to its clock speed.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 ExJan

ExJan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:46 PM

Thank you for explaining.

:flowers:

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,087 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:10 PM

No problem :)  It's just one of the marketing tricks manufacturers use in low end cards - fit 2Gb of slow memory, because most buyers look at the amount of memory, less check it's speed.  I know it's a bit late now but if it's a choice between more memory (i.e. 2gb) and a lower amount of faster memory, I would go for the latter option.  It's unlikely a card of this level will ever be dealing with high enough resolution and graphical complexity to really use 2Gb.

Edited by jonuk76, 06 June 2014 - 10:13 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 ExJan

ExJan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:20 AM

Can I overclock the memory clock to increase the memory bandwidth ?

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,087 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:30 AM

Yes, you can try, but there's no guarantees with overclocking.  There's a lot of guides out there and you'll need to do some research yourself (Googling "overclock nvidia GT 430" is a good start ;) ).  Increase the speeds slowly and use one of the stability testers (e.g. Furmark) to ensure that the overclock is stable and not causing artefacts or causing the card to crash.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users