Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shift Key Stuck?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mentis

mentis

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:50 PM

I have a problem with an Asus K55VD.
Original OS: Windows 7 64 bits Professional.
I upgraded my PC 2 months ago to Windows 8.1 64 bits.

Here is a description of my issue:
Two days ago I realized that something strange was happening. When I selected a folder in the Desktop several folders were selected at the same time. If I pressed a number it puts the symbols instead of the numbers (for example, if I pressed 1 the computer put !).
It seemed to be the Shift key stuck all the time.
I analyzed my PC with Kaspersky and some viruses were found and deleted. I used an Anti-Malware and it fixed some issues found.
However, I still had that strange behaviour.
I connected an external keyboard, but I still had the same problem. Thus, I formatted my hard disk and deleted all partitions.
Then I installed OpenSuse instead of Windows, but I still have the same problem.

I don't know if this is a hardware issue or a virus did something with my BIOS or Hard Disk.

Please advise. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:07 AM

If this was in Windows....I would send you HERE ...have a read anyway

Does the keyboard itself have a 'preferences' area...?....settings...?

I am grasping at straws here......hope it is of some help

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 mentis

mentis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:16 AM

I turned off Sicky Keys when I was in Windows, and I also installed a program and disabled the Shift Key. However, the problem persisted.

I think the keyboard doesn't have a preferences area, so I don't know what to do.

It is very strange because I am experimenting the same problem in OpenSuse, so I am thinking that this is a hardware issue but not sure...

Thank you anyway for your help.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:17 AM

Sounds like your shift key is definitely stuck on/broken... you may have to go see a repair center if you cannot free it up.

You can also uninstall the keyboard and just use your external one, if you want to go that route rather.

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:19 AM

i am assuming usb keyboard?

Plug it into another pc and see if the problem persists there

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:25 AM

could also be the caps lock stuck down...

#7 mentis

mentis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:27 AM

The problem is related to my laptop keyboard, but I plugged an usb keyboard to check if my laptop keyboard was damaged (something strange since I never eat or drink near my laptop).

I forgot to say that when I type something all the letters are in uppercase, and if I press Caps Lock then everything is in lowercase so it seems that the problem is related to the Shift Keys...

Do you think this is definitely a hardware issue or could it be a weird virus or something like that?

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:30 AM

hardware, I'd put money on it.

Especially as you loaded a Linux based OS and the problem persisted.

If you want to be %200 sure boot into a Live Disk and see if it still happens...

Edited by TsVk!, 06 June 2014 - 12:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users