Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using 'beta' Programs ...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 26 May 2006 - 11:23 AM

I understand that 'Beta' programs are programs that are 'nearly ready' but may contain some 'hiccups' because they are not quite finished, perhaps?

When downloaded from a reputable site they wouldn't contain any viruses or similar, but wondering if there is any risk in causing woes with the computer's operation when one uses these 'Beta' programs?

Thanks so much,
Mara
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 26 May 2006 - 11:26 AM

Hello MaraM,
Downloading a Beta version of some software, especially from a reliable website, will do no harm to your computer.
Beta software has already been through internal (alpha) testing, so what you are downloading is the almost-finished product. Companies put their products up for download in Beta versions so that they can see how the general public react to the programs, and if they find any flaws or probblems with it.
Hope this helps, :thumbsup:
Charles

If you are pleased with the service I have offered, you may like to consider making a donation. Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 26 May 2006 - 12:01 PM

Any new program you install on your machine has the potential to cause problems or create conflicts with other installed applications. A 'Beta' program would be somewhat more likely to cause problems than a released program, but they are generally fairly benign.

Always have a backup available and be ready to use it.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#4 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 26 May 2006 - 12:34 PM

I understand that 'Beta' programs are programs that are 'nearly ready' but may contain some 'hiccups' because they are not quite finished, perhaps?

When downloaded from a reputable site they wouldn't contain any viruses or similar, but wondering if there is any risk in causing woes with the computer's operation when one uses these 'Beta' programs?

Thanks so much,
Mara

Hay there
having used only a few betas I'd still say you would be safe enough from malware
initially but part of beta testing is seeing if any bugs show up from your particular
setup. most developers strongly suggest that you make a full back-up of anything
you don't or can't afford to lose, reading the EULA in full is advisable .
"Beta" means "Still not ready" in computer-eze. :thumbsup: I've never had any problems
with the limited betas(Firefox & Thunderbird and a couple others )I've tried.
I'm still using win98 so alot of newer "stuff" will not work here anyway.
Depends on the type of software you're beta testing but most don't recommend being
a "tester" if you're a beginner to computers , or depend on your computer for work.
a secondary computer that is "not needed" is the best way I'm told.
and finally ,you just gots to ask yourself , "Do I Feel Lucky?" :flowers:

Edited by no one, 26 May 2006 - 12:35 PM.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2006 - 03:04 PM

See my response, in general agreement with all of the other members who replied, to a similar question:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/53691/should-i-download-beta-anything/

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2006 - 03:10 PM

See my response, in general agreement with all of the other members who replied, to a similar question:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/53691/should-i-download-beta-anything/

Regards,
John

Thanks so much for both answering my query and for providing the direct link so I could read about 'risks' taken in using a Beta version of a program on my computer.

Has certainly given me something to think about prior to my downloading and using any of these.

Truly appreciate your help, John...
Mara
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#7 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 06:21 PM

Thanks to all of you who were so kind in answering my question re using a 'Beta' program - I really do appreciate knowing this information - as yup, I'm a newbie - and the last thing I need is to have my poor computer develop 'hiccups'.

With very kind thoughts,
Mara

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 06:36 PM

If you are ever in doubt about some Beta (not ALL are dregs and gunk) you can always post a question and ask the members about it.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 09:35 PM

If you are ever in doubt about some Beta (not ALL are dregs and gunk) you can always post a question and ask the members about it.
Regards,
John

Thank you for the suggestion I can just post my question about a particular 'Beta' program here, John.

It is called the 'Windows Defender... Beta 2' - Spyware Protection free

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/s...re/default.mspx

Although I have a couple other spyware protection programs still running, the one called 'SpySubtract' that came preloaded in my new Sony computer was only good for a month and I'd truly rather not pay to have it renewed.

When I saw the above 'Windows Defender' I thought that since it was from Microsoft itself, surely it would cause few if any woes within the computer itself ... but when I saw the 'Beta 2', I wondered if perhaps it simply meant it was one step closer to being completed perfectly (or perhaps the first Beta version was a scary thing that had lots of 'hiccups' that went along with it - gentle smile).

Thank you again for your kindness in responding to my questions, John...

Mara

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,605 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 29 May 2006 - 09:49 PM

Windows Defender is working very well on my computer and is getting good reviews across the net. The only thing that I am unclear on is how long it will remain free. There are other free programs that closely duplicates the protection that Defender offers. One that you might consider is Spyware Blocker.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#11 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 04:32 PM

Windows Defender is working very well on my computer and is getting good reviews across the net. The only thing that I am unclear on is how long it will remain free. There are other free programs that closely duplicates the protection that Defender offers. One that you might consider is Spyware Blocker.

Glad to know there hasn't been any problems with Windows Defender program - think I'll use it now and when it's no longer free, I'll change to 'Spyware Blocker'.

Thanks so much for telling me about it!

Kind thoughts,
Mara

#12 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 05:11 PM

Thanks to all of you who were so kind in answering my question re using a 'Beta' program - I really do appreciate knowing this information - as yup, I'm a newbie - and the last thing I need is to have my poor computer develop 'hiccups'.

With very kind thoughts,
Mara

YW .no problem

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 12:32 PM

Although Windows Defender is a beta, it is now in beta 2 which is completely safe.

I have been using it from when it was Microsoft Anti-Spyware beta and I recommend it highly.

Microsoft has issued OneCare for which it does charge, and has continued Defender for which they say they will not charge.

From the MS website:
Q)."How much does Windows Defender (Beta 2) cost? How much will the final release cost?
A).Windows Defender (Beta 2), subsequent beta versions, and the final release version will each be available at no additional charge for currently licensed Windows customers. You will be required to verify that you are using genuine Windows through a quick and easy online process called validation."

You should also have Adaware, Spybot S&D and A2, and the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool (Win XP and Win 2000) which automatically updates every Tuesday:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx
in your anti-malware toolkit installed on your computer to provide layered protection against a variety of kinds of threats and, of course, your resident anti-virus program.

If you need the links for any of the above I will be glad to provide them.

Edited by Enthusiast, 01 June 2006 - 12:38 PM.

#14 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:15 PM

Although Windows Defender is a beta, it is now in beta 2 which is completely safe.

I have been using it from when it was Microsoft Anti-Spyware beta and I recommend it highly.

Microsoft has issued OneCare for which it does charge, and has continued Defender for which they say they will not charge.

From the MS website:
Q)."How much does Windows Defender (Beta 2) cost? How much will the final release cost?
A).Windows Defender (Beta 2), subsequent beta versions, and the final release version will each be available at no additional charge for currently licensed Windows customers. You will be required to verify that you are using genuine Windows through a quick and easy online process called validation."

You should also have Adaware, Spybot S&D and A2, and the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool (Win XP and Win 2000) which automatically updates every Tuesday:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx
in your anti-malware toolkit installed on your computer to provide layered protection against a variety of kinds of threats and, of course, your resident anti-virus program.

If you need the links for any of the above I will be glad to provide them.

Hi Enthusiast,

It's great to know that the Windows Defender program is great - and is going to remain free - yipee!

The first thing I did when I got this magical new computer was go to Microsoft and before I could download the 'Updates', I clicked on the section to 'validate' the computer, so at least I know I have a 'real' one.

Although the computer is set to auto download 'Updates' from Microsoft, after reading your above message I went to their site and found a way to see what previous updates had been loaded - and luckily it says the 'Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Kit' has been done, although it doesn't show any sign of that part being auto up-dated each Tuesday. (Oddly enough, when I used 'search' and typed in "malicious", nothing came up though - so guess this stuff just gets hidden away once it's downloaded into one's computer?).

I've got Ad-Aware, SpyBot, Zone Alarm and a couple other things running on the computer - so adding the free Windows Defender is surely going to help keep me safer on the internet.

I read here that 'nothing is foolproof' - so I'll try to not be a total 'fool' and click on any 'odd looking' links, etc. but wow, I've learned there are certain words one cannot - simply and utterly cannot - type into a search engine without getting mighty scary results arriving on one's screen when clicking on the links provided - eek! But I'm learning - and what fun this is!

Thanks again for your kind help, Enthusiast ...
Kind thoughts, Mara

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users