Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Randomly Crashing

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Afrochubman

Afrochubman

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:58 PM

Last night I was on my computer and it randomly crashed while I was playing Outlast (lol kind of scared me thought it was the game) and I just thought it was the outlet at my friends house because we had a lot of things plugged in and it would make sense. But then the next morning I was playing Dead Space 3 and it crashed again. So I switched outlets and it worked fine. Then when I came back home, about 5 mins ago I was playing Gmod and it crashed again. So there is obviously something wrong. Idk what though. It seems like what happens is it just shuts off completely, then only my light on my power button comes on. My keyboards back light stays off. I have to manually shut it off and back on again to get my computer working. If you could help me it would be great.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:04 PM

Two things come to mind.  First, how stable is your home power?  If it occasionally flickers, that could be the problem.  Next is a UPS aka battery backup.  They stabilize the power going into your PC and provide several minutes of backup power whenever there's a blip in the house current.  They also provide surge protection.  The next thing is heat.  Have you checked your computer's temperatures?  I use SpeedFan, but there're others.  The core temps should be under 50 degrees C.  If they get much over that, the computer could shut itself down to prevent damage.  If that's your problem, you should get a can of compressed gas and blow the dust out.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Afrochubman

Afrochubman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:09 PM

My home power is fine and so was my friends. I've had this computer for a while and its the first time its happened. And they're 46.

#4 Gotcha_Hotshot22

Gotcha_Hotshot22

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:59 AM

I actually see this a lot in my line of work. Most likely, what's happening is due to your pc's cpu fan being too bogged down. In other words, it's dirty. Too dirty, and it's causing your pc to overheat. Lucky for you (and many others), manufacturers have prevented your computer from having a literal meltdown by including heat sensors. When the temperature reaches a certain criticle point the computer is shutdown to prevent any damage.

This problem can be solved by purchasing a can of compressed air at your local lows or walmart and spraying it on the fan.  Be sure to test it's ability to cool the system by spinning it like a pinwheel- just not hard, very lightly. If it takes too much force, clean it some more, but if it can spin freely with little force you're fine.

EDIT: You may have to remove hair (if you are a pet owner) using tweezers or any other obstruction.

Edited by Gotcha_Hotshot22, 06 June 2014 - 02:03 AM.

Thanks,

Daniel

#5 Afrochubman

Afrochubman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:38 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I added another fan and clean out the dust with Compresed Air and its not overheating anymore or crashing. Just stress tested it for 10 mins straight and it only got up to 50 C

#6 Gotcha_Hotshot22

Gotcha_Hotshot22

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:41 AM

Hey, don't mention it! :)

Thanks,

Daniel

#7 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:35 PM

Please come back if it happens again!

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#8 Afrochubman

Afrochubman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:46 AM

So yeah it happened again. It has crashed twice and it is always when Im playing games, and I guess it's because I'm using to much processing? I don't know. It just only crashes when I'm playing games.

#9 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:16 PM

What are you calling crashing? a BSoD? a computer shutdown/reboot? a computer lock up?

So far it has been sounding like either PSU problems or heat problems, but we'd be able to take more of an informed answer if you give us more information lol

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#10 danielr421

danielr421

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:48 PM

You might be having a problem with your fan, like they said. But I think you might have a problem with your internal hardware. Your computer might not be able to take the power, so you might need a video card or something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users