Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7-64 bit Computer Boots to Black Screen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Pancho589

Pancho589

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:58 PM

Hello anyone who can help me,

So two days ago, I booted up my computer and it had me run a system repair. I didn't think much of it, but upon finishing the computer restarted and when it booted up, it went to a black screen that said "Replacing invalid security ID with default security ID". Today, it finally finished, 750,000 files later. After it finished, it went directly to a black screen with just the mouse pointer on it. I waited about twenty minutes, but nothing happened. So, I rebooted and started in safe mode, but the same problem occurred. And then the same thing for safe mode with networking and safe mode with command prompt. I don't know what to do next. My computer is a Dell Inspiron 540, with an upgraded processor: AMD Phenom II Black Edition Multi-Core Processor, and an upgraded graphics card: ASUS HD6770, with Windows 7-64 bit. I will give any other information required. Please help me. :( 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Racket_Man

Racket_Man

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:45 AM

Just a question.  Does the black screen with just the mouse pointer appear after you have logged in (I am assuming you at least have one user with a password set up on the machine)???

If it does something that I have done in the past when this has happened to me is do a Ctrl-Alt-Del and select the Start the Task Manager option.  This will allow you to at least see the processes and services that are running.  This has helped me find where the problem(s) might be (that is if you are familiar with what processes and services are supposed to be running)

#3 Pancho589

Pancho589
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:16 AM

The black screen appears shortly after, the windows sign. It doesn't even let me sign in or anything. 

#4 silversurfer06

silversurfer06

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:34 PM

Hello anyone who can help me,

So two days ago, I booted up my computer and it had me run a system repair. I didn't think much of it, but upon finishing the computer restarted and when it booted up, it went to a black screen that said "Replacing invalid security ID with default security ID". Today, it finally finished, 750,000 files later. After it finished, it went directly to a black screen with just the mouse pointer on it. I waited about twenty minutes, but nothing happened. So, I rebooted and started in safe mode, but the same problem occurred. And then the same thing for safe mode with networking and safe mode with command prompt. I don't know what to do next. My computer is a Dell Inspiron 540, with an upgraded processor: AMD Phenom II Black Edition Multi-Core Processor, and an upgraded graphics card: ASUS HD6770, with Windows 7-64 bit. I will give any other information required. Please help me. :(

I had the same problem with an ASUS HD6770. Had no idea what caused it! Put the computer into 'safe mode' and restored it to an earlier date when all was working ok. Fortunately in my case it solved the problem and it has not re-occured. I hope it will solve your problem also.

#5 Pancho589

Pancho589
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:44 PM

Hey guys, so after two days of searching for answers I finally came to a forum that helped me out, but it came with some sacrifices.

So, after a while, today I finally discovered hitting F8 right after you hit your boot button brings up several other options. I found the option: "Repair Your Computer"

In the option I found the "Dell image Factory Reset", which I was going to use but I did not want to format my hard drive, as I had a lot of files I needed to save before formatting.

In that same forum, I found a program that helped me find the files on my hard drive that I needed to save, since I couldn't even log in to my desktop, and I successfully got what I wanted and was able reformat the hard drive and now everything is working like new.

The program I used to retrieve my files is called Ubuntu: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

I then burned it to a CD-R using ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/

Link to the forum that helped me: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/509336/black-screen-moving-cursor-no-safe-mode/

Anyways, hope this helps someone in the future. If any other questions are needed. I will provide.

Peace out and thanks Bleeping Computer!

Edited by Pancho589, 07 June 2014 - 11:45 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:35 PM

Thanks for sharing your resolution...happy computing :)!!

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users