Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Full system/windows 8 wipe

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kompany4

Kompany4

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:48 PM

I have come to the conclusion I was infected with a nasty rootkit of some sort and decided to go ahead and just wipe my system 100% clean, and starting fresh with a windows 8.1install. Before I do so was hoping to get some assistance with the most 'efficient' way to do this.

Thanks in advance for any input

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:54 PM

Welcome,

Sorry to hear about the problem. How did you 'wipe' your HDD? I ask because if it didn't get all the way down to the bottom the rootkit might still be hiding there to bite you on the reinstall. If you're not positive that the rootkit is gone visit the "Am I infected" forum and let one of the experts walk you through a complete health check. THEN we can discus how to do a reinstall and the better ways to prevent a reinfection.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users