Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

just wanting to introduce myself and share some computer realted anicdotes

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 henry59

henry59

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:19 PM

Well Hello There...I'm Henry59,

I have owned a computer since 1995; or have they owned me? Of course I do not own the same computer I owned in 1995; I have had several. I enjoy gaming and since I am retired I do little else with my computer except for gaming, browsing the web, learning adventures, ebay/amazon purchases, and mostly watching my son (13 years old) teach me about computers. It seems he has obtained his computerese-expertese via some unknown force of osmosis. Anyway he is computer literate and I am excited for his future. He will be attending a charter school this up comming school year for Science and Design. He loves math and science and is proud to be a nerd.

I have had many varying computer adventures involving keeping my computer virus free, running well with the right drivers, and attempting to keep the software up to date. I guess I am stubborn as I have never brought my computer in to a computer fixit establishment. Thus I have spent many hours foolishly running in circles trying to solve problems.

Most recently I had a harddrive failure. It was cooked so bad that there was no recoverable data on the drive.

I did not have the money to buy a new drive at the time so my computer languished. Later much to my dismay I discovered that the laptop was still covered under an extended warrenty due to my filling out the registration with Samsung while online. I tried to get them to help me one month after the extended warrenty ended as it was broken at the time that the warrenty was in effect. My problem was not knowing about the extended warrenty and therefore did not contact them or anyone for that matter as I could not afford to repair the laptop when it broke. As a matter of fact they were amuzed with my request and said no. And so it goes.

Anyway I obtained a new harddrive and installed it but alas had no operating system and most importantly did not have the drivers required for getting on the internet. Here is where I think I enter the computer twilight zone. I contacted Samsung support and yes they would send me a copy of the operating system; yeah! However, as far as the drivers I needed for online computing; they think thatsince the drivers for the computer are online that I therefore have access to them, at least that is as they see it I have access to them. Only problem is I was calling them because I could not get online due to not having the drivers. Very frustrating to say the least. I am somewhat amazed that Samsung would have the kutzpa to tell me to go online to get the drivers I needed in order to get online. Say what? How am I supposed to get online to get said drivers if I am calling because I don't have the drivers and want to get online. That's like the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

I eventually borrowed a friends computer and copied all of the drivers to a flashdrive; later I uploaded them to my laptop. So far so good. Of course, Samsung explains that one should only use the drivers from Samsung for their Samsung Computer, which would be fine if they actually worked in all situations. I have a Netgear box that allows me to wirelessly connect my computer to my laptop and the Intel WIDI Media Share which allows my computer to communicate with the Netgear box requires the latest Intel Drivers. Which also happen to be much more recent than the drivers supplied by Samsung. It simply would not work with the drivers supplied by Samsung. I had a lot of trouble getting the thing to work and have actually at this point decided not to use it due to lag present in the signal which affects viewing as well as game play. I use a media cable and am happy with that besides it is much more reliable.

I have actually noticed that most if not all of the drivers supplied by Samsung for my laptop are all 2 to 4 years old. I happen to know that there are much more recent drivers available and have not had much trouble utilizing them.

Okay, the good news is that putting a new harddrive in gets rid of all of the bloatware that comes on a storebought computer. BTW my son and I are going to be building our own desktop so that he can use my laptop for school. Speaking of bloatware leads me to some of the pre-installed software that one gets with a new computer. In my case I seem to have irrevocably lost my pre-installed Windows Office 2010. Now the funny thing about this is Samsungs stance on this problem and Microsofts take on this delimma. So, I scoured (several hours) Microsofts pages looking to see if I can download a pre-installed version of the program. What I found is that Microsoft does not provide this. What's more they have signed aggrements with computer manufactures that the computer manufacturer by law has to provide the pre-installed software to any customers that have a harddrive failure. The aggrements were put in place in order to prevent the very problem I am contending with. Yeah ... right.

Okay have you guessed what I did next? Yes, you are correct if you think I called Samsung. Samsung told me, yes you guessed again, that I could download the software from Microsoft. I dutifly contacted Microsoft support and inquired about obtaining the software and was told to go back to Samsung. Talk about getting the run around. So here is what I did, I chatted with both Samsung and Microsoft support at the same time. I copied and pasted their words to each other. Microsoft for their part do have such aggrements legally signed regarding such pre-installed software. All Samsung could do is continue to repeat itself as if I had not caught them in well, outright lies, or at the least providing false information to me a customer. Finally, I asked the Samsung representitive to provide me with a link to the Microsoft webpage where I could download a copy of the pre-installed software. I reasoned with them that if they were going to send me to a webpage to obtain software or information that they should provide me with a link to said page. After much hemming and hawing I was told that they could not give out information regarding Microsoft websites as they did not have access to them at Samsung Support. Like I really was born yesterday and I believe you because you are what? Just another company out to make a buck. Frankly I am not that gullible. Denial in the face of evidence is well cowardly and ignorant at the least. The last thing the Samsung representive messaged me is that I should go to Microsoft and search for the page which would allow me to download the pre-installed software. I said don't tell me to do what I have already tried to do and have been told by Microsoft does not exist. I will not be a dog chaseing my tail.

I finally opted to check out Google Docs and Open Office. I subsequently read something about the computer reseller being responsible for providing the pre-loaded software. So I should be able to obtain my lost Microsoft Office 2010. At this point I would rather write on cave walls, photograph it and send it out via twitter or some such method. If gaming was simple using Linux operating systems I would do so. Some games don't run on Linux so I am keeping Microsoft for now at least. Although I hope compatability issues change in the future.

As for me, my son and I are planning a backpacking/hiking trip to Baxter State Park in Maine and we plan on hiking up Mt. Katadin. I love the outdoors. I work on my own car. Which is a 1994 Mercedes Benz E320. I just finished replacing an engine wiring harness, mass air flow sensor, the lambda side oxygen sensor, and a brake light switch. The years 1994/1995 is when auto makers switched from obd1 diagnostics to obd2. As such I have had to make my own obd1 diagnostic sensor device form parts I purchased at Radio Shack for about $25.00. The great thing about it is it really works and has saved me hundreds if not thousands of dollars. Since I am on a fixed and very limited income I have to choose how to spend my money wisely. Like everyone else I never have enough.

I invite questions, chats, discussions, and incite into computers, life in general and most of all laughter at the way we all take ourselves much too seriously.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users