Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for drivers

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 lti

lti

• Members
  • 594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:16 PM

I am looking for drivers for the computer mentioned in this topic:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/536207/two-floppy-drives-appear-in-my-computer/

The missing devices in Device Manager seem to be unrelated to that problem, so I'm starting a new topic.

There is currently on unknown device in Device Manager, the modem driver is missing, and the sound quality is horrible. This computer has a VIA KN133 chipset (VT8362 northbridge and VT8231 southbridge) and a Conexant CX20468-21 audio/modem codec. I need to identify the unknown device, find a driver for it and the modem, and possibly find a better audio driver. I have installed all of the drivers available from VIA except for the infrared communication driver. This computer doesn't actually have the IrDA hardware, so it isn't needed and won't install (I tried installing it and the installer said the hardware wasn't present - that's actually obvious just from looking at the computer, but I thought it might have been a part of the VT8231).

I don't actually need the modem, and the unknown device doesn't seem to hurt anything. The audio works, but the sound is really badly distorted. The sound is clear in Linux, so it isn't a hardware issue. The sound quality was only slightly better in Windows XP, which had official drivers from Conexant, so there might not be a good Windows audio driver. Also, Windows 98 installed a generic CardBus driver, but I don't know if an official driver for the OZ6912T CardBus controller will work any better.

I just want to know how to identify unknown devices and where to find the drivers. The Windows 98 Device Manager doesn't show the vendor and device ID.

Edited by lti, 05 June 2014 - 04:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:27 PM

See if Unknown Device Identifier helps. It worked for me on an old Win98 computer.

#3 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 594 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:12 PM

I couldn't get that program to run, and I didn't like having to install something that will only be used once to identify the hardware. I don't remember the error it gave me now, and I've already uninstalled it and deleted the installer. I found Unknown Devices, which worked. However, it showed some devices that were connected in the past, never had their drivers installed, and were later removed because I didn't have Windows 98 drivers for them.

Also, I found that msinfo32 shows the device ID. The registry key it lists for each device uses the device ID as its name. I didn't even need extra software.

The modem is detected as a "VIA Technologies Inc VT82C686/A/B,VT8233/A Modem Codec" with hardware ID VEN_1106&DEV_3068&SUBSYS_0022103C&REV_20. The unknown device has the hardware ID HWPC209. Those aren't very helpful. I just need a good place to find and download drivers for those two devices and the audio codec.

There is a thread on HP's forums where someone modified a Windows XP driver to install in Windows 98 for the HWPC209 device. I don't know if I should try that.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Windows-95-98-ME/HP-Compaq-nx9010-and-Windows-98/td-p/3070153/page/2

Edited by lti, 05 June 2014 - 07:22 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:11 PM

First, thanks for the Unknown Devices link. The HWPC209 device concerns ACPI which Windows 98 didn't fully support. Unless you want the ability to sleep, suspend or hibernate, I wouldn't worry about it if it's not causing any problems.

Edit: a good site for Vendor and Device ID's is Pcidatabase.com

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 June 2014 - 09:12 PM.

#5 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 594 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:57 PM

It seems to be working, but I have no need to let it go into standby.

I can only find modem drivers for Windows 2000 and XP. If this modem has no Windows 98 drivers, I have an old 3Com/US Robotics modem card I can use if I ever need a modem, but I don't think I will ever need to use a modem with this computer.

The audio drivers on HP's website claim to support Windows 98, but there's a reason HP says they only support XP. In Windows 98, most programs play sound at about double its original speed. The Windows sound effects play properly, but the only program I found that could play audio properly was mplayer.exe (the old media player before Windows Media Player). I could tell that the audio quality was much better with that driver, but it looks like I'm stuck with the VIA driver. I would like to know if there is a better audio driver. I'm currently using the latest version of the VIA Vinyl audio driver (version 7.00b).

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:19 PM

I can't guarantee it but maybe using Realtek's AC-97 drivers will work.

#7 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 594 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:48 PM

Are Realtek's drivers really universal? I feel like it wouldn't work because of differences in the codecs. I could try it.

I have also tried an older version of VIA's audio driver. It was just as bad, and it is also missing the software that allows me to adjust the volume using keyboard shortcuts. That software didn't work very well anyway. It didn't work at all if certain programs were open, and the volume steps are too large for use with headphones. It will either be too quiet or too loud. Also, the output level is so high that I can't keep any of the sliders in the volume mixer turned all the way up, but I ran into a program that turns the wave volume up all the way. With any driver, there is a lot of background noise that disappears completely when there is any load on the CPU.

Also, I just remembered that there is no AMD PowerNow! driver installed for the Athlon XP-M 1400+ CPU. That isn't really necessary since I don't have a battery for this laptop, but it might be nice to have to reduce heat.

Edited by lti, 06 June 2014 - 09:51 PM.

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:28 PM

Check out this article. It covers how to manually hunt down your own drivers.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2089404/how-to-easily-find-drivers-for-unknown-devices-in-windows.html

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#9 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 594 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:05 AM

The Windows 98 Device Manager doesn't display that information.

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:45 AM

I can't guarantee it but maybe using Realtek's AC-97 drivers will work.

Given the age of the computer, this may be your best bet.

I've searched for the needed drivers, the closest thing that I could run across was the page you've already linked from the HP site.

If the Realtek AC-97 drivers doesn't work, it can be just as easily removed.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#11 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 594 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:29 AM

The Realtek driver doesn't work. I get a Code 2 error in Device Manager.

"The NTKERN.VXD, MMDEVLDR.VXD device loader(s) for this device could not load the device driver. (Code 2)"

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:11 PM

Unfortunately, it looks like the Realtek drivers will not work for that chipset. From here you can see that realtek does include a VIA controller in there AC-97 driver.

#13 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 594 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:41 PM

It looks like VXD drivers might work with hardware they weren't designed for:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/151469-win98se-will-not-load-c-media-ac97-onboard-audio-driver/

I just need to find one and try it. The Realtek Windows 95 driver won't install on 98SE.

If this doesn't work, I'll have to go back to the horrible VIA driver.

#14 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,758 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:04 PM

Try this tool:

http://www.zhangduo.com/unknowndeviceidentifier.html

No request for help throughout private messaging will be attended.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

#15 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 594 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:09 PM

That was already mentioned in post 2.

I reinstalled the VIA driver. It will have to do. I would like a volume control hotkey program that adjusts the volume in smaller steps than the VIA "Vinyl Deck" program and works when full screen applications are running.

Edited by lti, 07 June 2014 - 09:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users