Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware preventing MSE and Malware Bytes running?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tannersarms

tannersarms

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:55 PM

Hello

I recently did a fresh install of Windows 7 on my PC. I guess I forgot to install any AV until I was prompted to by Windows Update, which if I remember correctly, did install OK originally. Normally I would have installed AVG and MB, but I've had quite a few PC problems recently and so was a little haphazard, I can't remember whether I actually got MB installed prior to these problems or after. Anyhow, recently I started up my PC and upon starting got a message that MSE couldn't start because of error occurring during initialization, Error 0x80073b01.

I found a similar topic here and have run a few of the programs, most optimistically Hitman Pro, which found a couple trojans and malware items and deleted them. But I still have this issue with MSE that it can't load, can't be reinstalled and can't be uninstalled.

Other symptoms: Malware Bytes icon on my desktop went from being their logo to a generic .lnk/shortcut image and wouldn't load. I managed to reinstall it after using safe mode and using mbam clean to get rid of the mbamext.dll that wouldn't delete normally. I now have MBAM on my desktop and I can run it, but it won't get the latest updates (it appears to download them, but then says the db is missing or corrupt) and it won't let me do a scan.

I have been trying to copy some files to an external HD, but the ones with Security in their name can't be moved.

It seems like something is definitely running in the background controlling certain attempted actions.

Thanks for any help. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:00 PM

Try running in Safe Mode and doing a full system scan with your antivirus.  You could also try a System Restore.  

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 tannersarms

tannersarms
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:12 PM

I'll try the safe mode thing. Thanks for mentioning System Restore, I meant to post that I tried that, but it only allowed me to go as far back as 5/30, and it still had the error. When I tried running system restore just now I get "Windows cannot find c\windows\system32\rstrui.exe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users