Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 LLPUL58

LLPUL58

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:43 PM

Hi,

I have an older gateway 731OS computer. When I turned it on it went to a black screen with the following message.

PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent.

No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key.

I have gone into the system configuration by tapping <F2>   Going to the Enter system setup and opening the Boot list.  using arrows scrolling down to Boot Device Priority and stopping on the 2nd one down which sats <Hard Disk Drive>  Save the changes with an F10 click and exiting.    But it still down't let my system boot up.  It keeps going back to the black page and saying >

Any ideas as to what I can do to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Laurie / LLPUL58

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:50 PM

The PXE error is because the computer is trying to boot from the Network (because it cannot find the hard drive).  This error, sorry to say, indicates a hard drive failure.

Edit: I do not know if this is a laptop or desktop. The only option I can see is to disconnect and attach any cables to the drive if a desktop and to remove and re-attach the hard drive if a laptop.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 June 2014 - 04:08 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,862 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:13 PM

I don't think it's a hard drive failure...those PXE errors do arise because the system is trying to boot from the network...but that often happens when a system has a failing CMOS battery.  I'd replace the $4 CMOS battery (if desktop), reset the time/date and employ BIOS default settings...and see if that clears it up.

A failing CMOS can produce false configuration errors about system components similar to those you received.

Louis

#4 LLPUL58

LLPUL58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:36 PM

Thanks,

Is there anything specific I need to know about getting this CMOS battery?  I haven't ever changed a batter in a computer before, is it a fairly easy task?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:54 PM

If it a desktop, it is very easy as it is a small battery, usually CR2032. For a laptop, they are some that are easily replaced but also others that are soldered to the motherboard.

When replacing the desktop battery make a note of the polarity on the battery. Also unplug your power cable and ground yourself on the metal case before removing the battery.

EditL I could not find any info on this Gateway.

cmos_jumper.gif

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 June 2014 - 04:55 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,862 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:21 PM

I tried 7310S and that's a desktop, 2005 vintage,  If that's the original CMOS battery, I'd have to say usage was maximized :).

Louis

#7 LLPUL58

LLPUL58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:51 PM

OK I changed the CMOS battery,  went into bios setup and set the time and date and reset the bios to defalt settings and it still gives the black screen with the message

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:04 PM

If the BIOS does not detect the drive, the drive or motherboard could be the problem. Being very careful, can you hear the drive spin up at boot?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,862 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:19 PM

Just one matter...did you reset the boot options  in the BIOS so that the system will (now) try to boot from the hard drive?  My fault, bad instructions/explanation.   If you don't tell it to do so, it won't.  Try that, save the changes by hitting F10...see what happens :).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 05 June 2014 - 06:24 PM.

#10 LLPUL58

LLPUL58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:29 PM

That didn't help.  Still getting the same message - 

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:52 PM

If the drive spins up I would look at either putting it into a USB enclosure or using an adapter like this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users