Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cut & Paste

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 EchoHawk

EchoHawk

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:14 PM

I generally understand the operation. This time though when I the file, I cut somehow got lost. I was trying to work with two windows. The one I cut the file from and the one I wanted to paste to. When it came to pasting, also this was an external drive. I didn't do any thing in between I cut, went to the exteranl drive, tried to past it and it wouldn't paste.

Is this now lost forever or does someone know how to correct this?

Any assistance is appreciatiated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:23 PM

I've been running Windows 8 2.5 years now and never had this problem.  Are you having any other problems?  You might want to run "sfc /scannow" and your antivirus scanner.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 EchoHawk

EchoHawk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:49 PM

Thank you for responding

I do have other problems also. This one though is the major one rightt now. I had done a system refresh , when it was done The files were in trash. I created a second trash and named the first trash-1, so nothing else would go there
Got the stick, as you've read continued in the manner explained and had the outcome explained. I know that thing is in this thing somewhere, only I have no clue of the system or what does what and so on, or I wouldn't be here. You know, some working knowledge but nothing much less fix it, I fear now all the files are lost

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:10 PM

If you bring up the File Manager (previously called Windows Explorer in earlier Windows versions), you can click on the folder where the lost files were, then click the Previous versions tab.  You might find the lost files there.

When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $60 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus Todo Backup Free.  That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 pcblues

pcblues

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:12 AM

Hi there, 

You should try  > copy <  if you chose cut it will, like the term implies  >  cut the item.. it will be gone so there's nothing to copy .

Simple way to do it :  right click on picture , from drop down list choose  > copy <  open doc/page whatever , if you use wordpad,  there's a " paste " option in the top left corner .. click on Paste  and  it's done  & remember to save the document .

Another way to copy & paste is, click on copy and @ destination press  < ctrl & v >  at the same time , same result as above .

Sometimes for quick reference it's easier to take a screenshot ,  press the Windows ( between ctrl & Alt) and PrtSc keys at the same time.. and you will have  an image of the whole screen , ready to edit ,cut etc.  located in your Pictures folder .

Some photos/images you can save direct from the webpage , no need to copy & paste , just  right click on item and  "save image as"  and you will find it in your downloads folder

Hope this helps..  :)

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:03 AM

Copy and Paste << BC Tutorial

#7 Gotcha_Hotshot22

Gotcha_Hotshot22

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:07 AM

I would say hit CTL+Z to undo any changes, but due to recent comments, it appears as if you've taken actions after cutting the file. You can always try recuva. Piriform makes it. Just tell it to search your pc and then select advanced mode and search the file name. You can download it here.

Thanks,

Daniel

#8 Wilis

Wilis

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:28 AM

Hi,

When I've lost/deleted files, especially pictures, I've used a program called Pandora Recovery, downloadable from CNet, which has served me well, not tried it on Windows 8 as yet but could definitely be worth a shot if it's compatible, the only problems I've encountered is when the area of the disc has been written over again the item is not always recoverable but if you haven't saved too much new material since you may be in luck.

Hope this helps

#9 Wilis

Wilis

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:39 AM

Just to add, there's also Recuva available for download in the downloads section on this site which looks a pretty impressive program too...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users