Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MagicJack fried 2 mobos

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jlrka

jlrka

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:03 PM

1st computer-Sony vgc-RB30 win7 ult.- intel P4 3.0, 2.5gb RAM
2nd comp. Compaq sr1800nx win7 ult.- intel P4 3.0, 2gb RAM
While making a call using Magic Jack, the Sony shut down and tried to reboot with a blank screen.
I unplugged MJ, turned it off and it did eventually reboot.
I plugged MJ back in and the comp instantly shut down and would not reboot.
It would not post and the Chassis and CPU fans were very fast. NO beeps.
I swapped the RAM, PSU, CPU and reset CMOS with no effect.
Still not believing a USB device could cause this, I turned on the Compaq and plugged in MJ.
BANG! THe same thing instantly with the same symptoms.
Does anyone have exprience with this or know how to revive the mobos?
**footnote- MJ was connected to comp1 via an extension cable. To comp2 directly.  THX

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:19 PM

The only time I had problems with MagicJack was probably 8 years or so ago when I was running the Media Center version of XP. It didn't do any permanent damage though, just crashed my system or wouldn't boot if it was plugged in.  When I got a new computer (I think it was a HP with Vista) in 2009, I got another MagicJack and it's worked with that, a home built system with Windows 7, and my old HP computer which now runs Windows 8.1.  It also works with my Dell Inspiron 660 running Windows 7 Pro.  You didn't say what version of Windows you're running, but I'd recommend you contact the MagicJack support.

Good luck. 

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 jlrka

jlrka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:57 PM

I did state the os- Win7 ult. on both.

I did contact MJ support and they wanted me to plug it into another computer.

I told them that ain't about to happen.

I offered to mail the unit to them so they could put it in one of their computers.

they didn't want to do that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users