Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP! Quick Format 3TB drive's 746GB (split to 2TB and 746GB)Partition info GONE

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 777funk

777funk

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:21 PM

In the process of moving my dual boot (XP and Ubuntu 12.04) to a new HDD, I had backed up all my documents on an internal 3TB drive that Acronis had split for Windows XP into 2TB NTFS (where I had my backup data) and the rest was showing as an unformated 746GB in Win Disc Manager. I decided to quick format the missing 746GB (not the 2TB I was using) and now I can't access the drive (my original 2TB is also not showing).

I didn't ask Windows to touch the 2TB partition so what could have happened? Can GParted build back my original partitions?

This drive migration is turning out to be a huge bummer! I hope I haven't just lost my backup.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:34 PM

The reason Acronis split the disk into 2TB and the rest as unallocated is because a MBR disk can only recognize 2TB max. The disk has to be a GPT disk in order to make use of the full 3TB. In Disk Management is the drive showing up as RAW?

#3 777funk

777funk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:54 PM

The reason Acronis split the disk into 2TB and the rest as unallocated is because a MBR disk can only recognize 2TB max. The disk has to be a GPT disk in order to make use of the full 3TB. In Disk Management is the drive showing up as RAW?

Thanks! It's showing up as 746 (Healthy - but says not formatted when I click on the drive in My Computer) and 1301 unallocated (Previously 2TB as good usable NTFS format and 746 unallocated). 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,445 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:16 PM

This may be due to the fact that an MBR disk can only see either the 746MB partition or the 2TB partition. I am not absolutely sure on that though.  So in Disk Management, (not My Computer) it shows a Healthy partition of 746MB and an unallocatted partition of 2TB?

#5 777funk

777funk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:30 PM

It doesn't recognize it as 2TB and 746 anymore Now it just shows 746 heathy (but saying it's not formated) and 1301 unallocated that's not showing up as a drive in My Computer. 

The weird thing is that I didn't touch the 2TB from Windows XP disk managment (only the 746). 

BUT... that said, I had to use Acronis to partition the disk to begin with. Windows only recognized 746 when new and couldn't even format or partition that within the XP Device Manager. 

Edited by 777funk, 05 June 2014 - 03:31 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,445 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:38 PM

If just the partition table is corrupted, you can try recovering the data with Test Disk. The safest way is to copy the Data Test Disk finds (if it can find it) to another drive. Is the data small enough that it can be copied over to an existing drive.

Download the WIndows version of Testdisk.  If it finds your 2TB partition. Highlight it and press P. You should see a list of files and folders in the partition which can be copied over. You may have to do a Deep Search to find the 2TB partition.

Here is a quick guide on using Testdisk. You do not have to download Parted Magic as you will be using the Windows version of Testdisk. Pay close attention to the part that shows listing files. Also, do not write a new partition table. Right now we are more concerned of getting the data back. Once you get your data back, then we can try writing a new partition table to see if it can bring it back so Windows will recognize it.

Edit: I am not sue if it would work but if you booted to Ubuntu, It may see that 2TB partition where Windows did not. It's possible Ubuntu may be able to mount it.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 June 2014 - 03:40 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,294 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:41 PM

What version of Acronis did you use?

Louis

#8 777funk

777funk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:14 PM

Thank you Louis, 

I used Seagate Disk Wizard (which is written by Acronis). It's got an image creator and also a partition manager in this software.

What version of Acronis did you use?

Louis

#9 777funk

777funk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:40 PM

Excellent, I will try Test Disc and see how it works. I've looked in Ubuntu before with a similar situation (same drive and it's issues) and it didn't show up. But I suppose I may try it again and see. Test Disc looks hopeful.

If just the partition table is corrupted, you can try recovering the data with Test Disk. The safest way is to copy the Data Test Disk finds (if it can find it) to another drive. Is the data small enough that it can be copied over to an existing drive.

Download the WIndows version of Testdisk.  If it finds your 2TB partition. Highlight it and press P. You should see a list of files and folders in the partition which can be copied over. You may have to do a Deep Search to find the 2TB partition.

Here is a quick guide on using Testdisk. You do not have to download Parted Magic as you will be using the Windows version of Testdisk. Pay close attention to the part that shows listing files. Also, do not write a new partition table. Right now we are more concerned of getting the data back. Once you get your data back, then we can try writing a new partition table to see if it can bring it back so Windows will recognize it.

Edit: I am not sue if it would work but if you booted to Ubuntu, It may see that 2TB partition where Windows did not. It's possible Ubuntu may be able to mount it.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,445 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:46 PM

I'm hoping Testdisk will work as the other option is using PhotoRec to recover the files and that will take awhile on a 2TB partition.

#11 777funk

777funk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:51 PM

Thanks a lot and I'm hoping for the same. PhotoRec is also kind of a mess as it doesn't preserve the original folder structure or filenames. 

So Testdisk will hopefully be the ticket.

It's a little bit of an odd situation since the 3TB drive XP format weirdness is thrown into the mix.

#12 777funk

777funk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:01 AM

ok to be continued in a more specific thread.

#13 777funk

777funk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:10 AM

continued here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/536837/testdisk-lists-a-bunch-of-nonsense-partitions-and-one-real-partition-what-to-do/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users