Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ESET Security Forums hacker...user info/passwords compromised

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:13 PM

we have been informed by our third-party forum provider that user login details of ESET Security Forum members have been compromised...We recommend that all ESET Security Forum users change their passwords...

ESET Security Forum

security incident on forum.eset.com
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:11 PM

What are these hackers doing, competing for bragging rights? Surely they know that any financial details & license keys aren't stored on the forum sites.

Last year,  AVG was successfully hacked, during the same time there was an unsuccessful one directed towards Avast. More recently, it was Avast. Now it's ESET.

It's becoming a game of "Who's Next?"

Only I don't see the humor. Security breaches are of serious concern to the majority of us & having to swap passwords on a regular basis is already necessary, but for crap like this ticks me off, as we have to keep up with these w/out writing them on paper. I don't trust master passwords, nor apps that creates them. What if they're hacked? Unfortunately, there's a few who doesn't care, about this or much anything. These are usually the ones with the least to lose, however will be screaming bloody murder if $2 is missing, if it's noticed.

This is the exact reason why I don't directly access my back account online anymore. I call to get my balance & take notes of my transactions to verify accuracy & use a 3rd party provider to pay bills & merchants. And never recycle passwords used for forums & email accounts for this purpose. It's just too risky.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:17 PM

What are these hackers doing, competing for bragging rights?

Yes. Look at me look at what I can do. There are "forums" where that type of thing gives you cred.

Just like in the old Yahoo Chat day's being a "coder" of booter's etc did. Whole sites were built around 1 guy who could code booters, Id crackers etc in Mostly VB6, and latter some VB.Net and even less C#  , and trading yahoo id's.

I once saw this id 15 underscores nike______________ go for 300 usd. No I am not kidding and remember those id's were cracked( stolen).

Edited by NickAu1, 05 June 2014 - 09:25 PM.

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:58 PM

Yes, I've noticed there are forums for most everything there is, legit or not. Some well known tech sites, that I won't list here, some of the membership likely knows of them anyway, where members openly list known working COA's & SLP's, all sorts of stuff. If something gets too far out of line, MS will complain & content is removed. No telling what's on the private section of these.

Here is the US last year, a forum was busted for swapping (or re-homing) adopted children, usually those with behavioral issues (likely not due to their fault). It was taken down.

I have no doubt there's similar ones on the teachings of hacking, the good ones becomes moderators & admins fast, I suppose. Problem is, the sites are likely in an area where no law of other countries can bust them or make arrests. That's the reason they're unstoppable. No law to bust them & if there are any, they're paid off to turn their heads (or face dire consequences). That's how criminals work.

A year or two ago, there was one in Australia, really had they not had a server in Virginia (I believe that was the state), the US couldn't have busted them. That one server on our soil gave the US the international right to make a bust & it was huge, Nearly a car lot full of expensive vehicles & other belongings. Nick, I'm sure you remember that one.

I don't know or remember all of the details, but part of it was the distribution of copyrighted and/or pirated software, games & movies.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 51,138 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:35 AM

What are these hackers doing...

They know that security experts participate on these forums...maybe they are looking for personal info against those who attempt to counteract their endeavors.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users