Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WORK COMPUTER CHANGED ALL FILES ON CD TO XML

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cwnchstr

cwnchstr

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:09 PM

I recently changed jobs. I made several DVD's of work I wanted to take to my new job.

When I loaded the disk at my workstation, it was locked and I couldn't see any of the documents because it was policy to not let any 'outside' files be opened until specific access was granted.

When I got access, all the files on the disk have the extension .xml.

I've tried saving to the original extension of .pdf or .xls etc, but it won't work.

Is there any way to recover the disk and the data on it?

I attached one of the files...

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:34 PM

Why/how would any system...change file extensions on files burned to disk?

Was the disk finalized when burned?

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,042 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:52 PM

Does this computer have the same software that you used to create these files?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 cwnchstr

cwnchstr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:11 PM

Hamlouis: It worked on my home computer. Then when I brought it to work and tried to use it, it couldn't read it. Then when I got the access, I'm presuming the work computer changed all the file extensions.

dc3: Yes, Windows 7.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:29 PM

I'm guessing that something your work IT is doing caused this.  Are you able to copy the files to your machine and then rename them to remove the .XML part of the file name?  Using the file you posted it doesn't look like that works.  Renaming to a .TXT file the original file name looks to be HEALTH FAIR 2008.

So, you probably need to work with IT to see how to do this.  I'm assuming that the DVDs are fine at home.

#6 cwnchstr

cwnchstr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:38 PM

I asked IT when they gave me the permissions and they said...'oh. Looks like they're corrupt.'

I tried the disk at home before I brought it to work, but not after. Will do that today.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,866 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:45 PM

FWIW:  Win 7 is the O/S....you did not use that to create these files.  What program (installed in Win 7) did you use to burn them to CD/DVD?

Louis

#8 cwnchstr

cwnchstr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:08 PM

I can't remember the program name. It was installed on my old work computer. This one doesn't have any kind of software other than Windows Media Player.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,042 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:06 AM

I suspect that you will need the same program these files were created with to open them correctly.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users