Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 freezing after login

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 i2elax

i2elax

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:58 AM

Hello all. Last night I did a fresh install of windows for a customer who was running XP. I installed the OS on an old partition and left the (OEM Reserved) Partition there aswell thinking it wouldn't make a difference. 

Once the Install was complete and windows booted the computer , Went to start menu and I was able to delete some of the start menu icons thinking it was fine then boom. The computer began to get slow , slow to the point where start menu wouldn't even open , I would start task and the manager would ghost over the windows desktop so it was ripped in two (Half showing the desktop half showing Ctrl Alt Del menu. No processes or Ram usage being shown in performance either. I diagnosed it could be ram as they are running two 512MB sticks and only 800MB of the two combined is available but I'm running Less here at home on a dell and it works fine ? 

Windows 7 32 bit 
MSI MS-7173 (RC410M) Motherboard 
2.4GHZ Processor (Can't remember what make or model) 
x2 -512MB 1Rx8 PC2-5300U-555-12 Ram Sticks 
Old 250GB HDD
On board graphics 

PC is at least 5 years old. 

I am wondering could this be a problem with how I installed the OS or is it RAM ? Or could it be video card Issues. I've already bought them Windows 7 and I don't want to bring them to more expense to troubleshoot this problem. 

Thanks 
Michael

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:02 AM

I'm guessing that you are referring to the System Reserve partition which is 100MB in size when you referred to the OEM reserved?

This would mean that you installed Windows 7 over the installation of XP.

If this is the case, I would suggest wiping the hdd, both partitions as the system reserve partition is no longer needed since XP is no longer on there and then reinstall Windows 7.  This will be the quickest and easiest way to resolve this issue.

As for the start menu icons, I'm guessing you are referring to the icons for applications, such as IE, Outlook Express, etc.  I would suggest that you leave these as they are.  The owner of the computer will have applications or programs which they use on a regular basis, these will replace and or be added to the original icons.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 i2elax

i2elax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:11 AM

I'm guessing that you are referring to the System Reserve partition which is 100MB in size when you referred to the OEM reserved?

This would mean that you installed Windows 7 over the installation of XP.

If this is the case, I would suggest wiping the hdd, both partitions as the system reserve partition is no longer needed since XP is no longer on there and then reinstall Windows 7.  This will be the quickest and easiest way to resolve this issue.

As for the start menu icons, I'm guessing you are referring to the icons for applications, such as IE, Outlook Express, etc.  I would suggest that you leave these as they are.  The owner of the computer will have applications or programs which they use on a regular basis, these will replace and or be added to the original icons.

Hi dc3. I've done some work on it so far and have done things a bit differently. 

I Ran the windows install disk once again , Deleted all partitions made one then formatted it , then windows made the reserved partition itself. 

Let it do its thing then on first boot it just didn't work. Start menu not opening and Icons freezing in the Icon tray. It would then unfreeze for about 2 seconds and when you go to do something (Such as right click) the menu will stay on screen , you are still able to move the mouse around also. 

I ran it in safemode which worked just fine. MSConfig then done a Diagnostic boot which it did just fine. 

I can't wrap my head around this one. 

Also there is only one Ram slot working on the mobo. 

Running on very low resolution. and computer will not shut down once booted to windows normally. 

In desperate search of a resolution as I thought this would be an easy install for my customer as they were using XP. 

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:23 AM

Two thoughts come to mind, one is the possibility that there is a problem with the hdd.  You can go to the hdd manufacturer's website and download their diagnostic tool to determine if this is the problem.

Since the computer seems to operate properly in Safe Mode I suspect that there is either a service or startup item causing these problems.  To determine if this is the case I would suggest performing a Clean Boot.

***This is a diagnotic tool for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.  This will not repair your computer, but it may point to where the problem lies so that a repair can be made.***

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Step 1

(1)  Click on the Start orb, then type msconfig.exe in the Search programs and files box.  

(2)  When msconfig is seen in the pane above the search box and under Programs, right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

afterstart_zps02764513.jpg

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation. 

Step 2

(1)  Click on the General tab.   

(2)  Click the Selective startup option. 

(3)  Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box. 

msconfig_zps77b1ef82.png

Step 3

(1)  Click on the Services tab. 

(2)  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running. 

(3)  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list, then click on Apply, then OK.  Click on Restart in the window that opens.

Caution:  I repeat, by disabling the Services your antivirus will not be active, for this reason I suggest that this process not be run while online.

msconfig2_zpsef3c4759.png

If the problem does not reoccur after the reboot this means that there is a Service which is causing this proble, continue with the process of elemination to find the Service which is causing this in Option A.  If the problem does reoccur after the reboot go to Option B.

Option A

**The following is a process of elimination to find the Service or Startup item that is causing your problem**.  

*  If the problem does not reoccur after the restart go back to Services and place check marks in half of the boxes and restart the computer.  

*  If the problem still does not continue return to Services and remove the check marks that were added, then place check marks in the remaining half of the boxes and restart the computer.

If the problem resumes after a restart in one of these halves, you will procede with this process in the half where the problem occurs.  If this does not continue in either half you should repeat this process in Sartup

*  In the half of the Services that the problem is found, remove one check mark at a time and restart the computer to see if that  is the Service causing the problem.  Continue to do this with the Services untill the service causing this problem is  found.

Option B

Search Startup itmesIf the problem is not found in Services, remove all of the check marks, click on the Startup tab and repeat the search process there.

Caution:  If this is a laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.

If this problem is found post the Service or Startup item that is causing it. 

When you are finished using the Clean Boot go back to System Configuration and click on the General, then click on Normal Startup, click on [b]OK, then restart your computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 i2elax

i2elax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:28 AM

Thanks very much I will try out these two methods and get back to you after. 

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:31 AM

I'll be around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users