Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovering Data from an HDD from another system

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 WaitWhatJustHappened

WaitWhatJustHappened

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:39 AM

So my windows install on my laptop corrupted, not a big deal, I had a spare copy of Windows 7 and an extra hard drive, that was easy. So I plugged the corrupted HDD into the hotswap bay on my desktop to pull some stuff off of there that I want to keep.  However, when I go into Users folder and try to access my user folder, it tells me I don't have permission to access. So I went into security, advanced and changed ownership to my admin account for my desktop and I still get told I don't have permission to access this folder.  So I click on the button to get "permanent" access to this folder, and the progress bar moves along and stops at about 95% and just hangs there indefinitely.

Basically I am at a loss as for what to do at this point and am looking for help, thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:03 AM

If changing ownership of the drive still did not let you copy the files, I would do it outside of Windows using linux. Download Puppy linux 5.2.8 and burn the iso file. Boot Puppy and attach the external drive. You should see a USB icon appear on the desktop. Click once and it will automatically open the file manager putting a green dot on the icon, opening the file manager and showing the contents of the drive.

Click once on your internal drive. It will be on the lower left of the desktop and be labled sda1. If you have more than one partition on the drive it will be labled sda1...sda2...  If you have more than one hard drive it will be labeled sdb1.  Click once on the drive icon and another file manager window will open. Then drag and drop the files from the external drive to the internal drive. You can select multiple files or folder by holding the Ctrl key + left click or left click and window around the files/folders. A dialog will open asking if you would like to copy or move. Select Copy. After you are sure all of the files you need are copied, I would repartiiton and format the external drive. You can do this with Gparted which is included with Puppy

Here is a good link showing the copy process. No need to do the disk check.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:22 AM

I'm thinking that the hard drive may have issues.  Hopefully the advice provided by JohnC_21 works for you.

You can try running the Error-checking on the drive.  Right click the drive and select Properties, left click the Tools tab.  Press the Check now button in the Error-checking section.  Check both boxes and press the Start button.

Please be advised if there are issues with the drive any work done on the drive can result in a total loss of data, so you want to get as much data off of the drive first, then start working on it to recover the rest.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:06 AM

In Windows you have to browse deep in the permissions to take ownership. As others have mentioned linux doesn't care about windows lol.

Edited by technonymous, 06 June 2014 - 07:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users