Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Friends spreading viruses,potential threat?

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 newbleeping

newbleeping

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:32 AM

Hello Everyone

I started receiving emails from a friend with no message,no subject & I questioned her.....she said all her friends said that they were receiving emails that she never sent.I told her she should join BC because I assumed she got some kind of hijacker ,spyware or malware on her computer I decided to not even open any of her e-mails because she wouldn't do anything to look into what was going on,we actually lost a friendship over this but I simply refuse to put my computer at risk

Now I have another friend that continually sent me those dumb jokes(as attachments) that are forwarded by a long list of"who knows who"....I don't know if I am overly cautious but I never opened any attachments & I don't think it is a safe practice(am I correct?)Anyway,I asked her if she was running any anti-malware or anti-spyware programs & I strongly advised her to,despite my warnings she kept procrastinating & never did anything to protect her computer .....hence,her computer was infected with the Ransom virus & is in the repair shop as we speak,duh?

Anyway,she & I speak everyday via emails,does opening her emails(no attachments)pose a security threat to my computer or can I get infected from her.......Also,I even wondered about my email address being on her list of contacts,don't hackers access that information?I have switched to Win7,I have Secunia PSI (stay on top of my updates & I have Spyware Blaster,Malwarebytes Pro,SuperAntiSpyware & WinPatrol....................

I don't have any idea why people don't take privacy & security seriously,I guess some folks just have to learn the hard way........it just annoys me that they do not have consideration for others

Best Regards,Kwik

Edited by newbleeping, 05 June 2014 - 02:36 AM.

BC is the best!!  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!Greetings & Blessings from the Sunshine State                                                                .Kwik :love4u: ....aka "newbleeping"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,791 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:36 AM

I don't think it is a safe practice(am I correct?)

Yes you are 100% spot on, If in slightest doubt do not open attachments. Especially now that you are aware of this issue with your friends.

My friends know better than to send me attachments, I just don't accept them full stop even from my mother.

Edited by NickAu1, 05 June 2014 - 02:38 AM.

#3 newbleeping

newbleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:43 AM

Hi Nick!

Thank you so much......it only makes sense to me,those forwarded jokes are far worse that the old "chain letters",I don't know if you remember those but they were sent by snail mail,once you responded you got every mail advertisement known to man!I guess it was the original"phishing scam"-LOL

What about my information being in her list of contacts.....she is my best friend so she knows my phone number & physical address,I don't know if she fills out that info on her list of friends?                                                            Best Regards,Kwik

BC is the best!!  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!Greetings & Blessings from the Sunshine State                                                                .Kwik :love4u: ....aka "newbleeping"

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,791 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:46 AM

What about my information being in her list of contacts.....

don't hackers access that information?I

Hi Kwik

Yes. If they get her contacts and your info is on that list.

the old "chain letters"  I don't know if you remember those but they were sent by snail mail,

Yes Chain email is more fun. Sent a few myself.

Nick

Edited by NickAu1, 05 June 2014 - 02:53 AM.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:52 AM

You can filter attachments depending on your mail client...

For example, Thunderbird will block all remote content except what you allow. so you can still read your infected friends messages but not get their nasties.

#6 newbleeping

newbleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:02 AM

Hi Nick & TsVk

Wow,I guess I can't do anything about what someone else enters in their computer but I don't think a hacker could harm my computer if they have my email address......it is just awful that you do everything you can to protect your privacy & then because of someone elses ignorance it is breached,huh Nick?

TsVk,I am not very computer savvy,if it is not too much,may I ask what all that means in perhaps "laymens terms" that i can understand(eg:mail client,remote access?)   Are you saying that by simply opening their emails(not attachments)I am at risk ?    oh boy,I just may lose another friend-lol(just kidding)

Thanks ,you guys! Kwik

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:17 AM

A "client" is the program you us to open your mail. Outlook is the most used client and has loads of features (business people love it). Windows Live Mail is very popular with consumers but terribly prone to attack and a great way to get tied up with malware.

By opening emails without remote content blocking you are definitely at risk. It gives code full rights to do what it wants within known security restrictions.

Gmail is a great server as far as mail goes. I have had only 2 malicious attachments in 5 years with that server. Very secure. The restriction is that people can't send you compressed or executable files... that is fine.

So I might suggest that if you have an email address like yourusername@yourisp.com you use Thunderbird. It really can help loads, and save plastic friends from dumping you.

#8 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:19 AM

What e-mail client do you use?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:22 AM

Edited by TsVk!, 05 June 2014 - 03:25 AM.

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,791 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:23 AM

It gives code full rights to do what it wants within known security restrictions

So in Windows that would be Admin( root in Linuxian)?

PS.

I only say this because most people on Windows run as Admin with uac OFF.

Edited by NickAu1, 05 June 2014 - 03:30 AM.

#11 newbleeping

newbleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:35 AM

Hi guys

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain all that so that I could understand,that is very kind of you & I appreciate it,i have hotmail.com but i only use that one for Bleeping Computers noifications because I switched over to gmail.com a while back as Quietman suggested I do as he helped me to remove malware(someone used my computer,,,,,,never again!)

is Thunderbird a free download & does it conflict with any of the security programs I have?

Thanks again,kwik

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,791 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:41 AM

I use Gmail Notify https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/quantal/gmail-notify/

Gmail Notifier
alerts the users of new email messages. Users can also read emails, delete or mark them as read, all without having to open a browser.

This is the windows version, As with any 3rd party software use extreem caution when downloading and installing anything.

No link provided by me.

Edited by NickAu1, 05 June 2014 - 03:43 AM.

#13 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:47 AM

It gives code full rights to do what it wants within known security restrictions

So in Windows that would be Admin( root in Linuxian)?

There's plenty of cleverly crafted files that don't require Admin that can run arbitrary code. I received an xls file recently that was clearly malicious... No elevation required to run.

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,791 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:58 AM

I so miss Windows..... Not

#15 newbleeping

newbleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:36 AM

Hi Nick....

That Ubuntu notifier looks very cool.....so I needn't open Firefox to get to my gmail acct to check emails?Really?   I looked to download it but which version do I choose !0.04,11.10,12.04,12.10,13.04.13.10 ?????Whew!This doesnt work for hotmail?

Thanks,Kwik

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users