Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I post a screen shot?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:43 PM

Normally when I want to put a screen shot somewhere, I do an Alt-PrtSC to create the screen shot in the clipboard, then right-click where I want to paste it & click paste.  This doesn't work with the BC forums where I've tried it.  I get one of 3 things happen:

1) It does nothing.

2) I get a little popup saying I have to paste it in the popup, but when I try, it does nothing.

3) It pastes the screen shot, but then when I click Post I get an error message.

In an attempt to help resolve my bewilderment about this, I searched the tutorials for anything about pasting and found an article about Photobucket which I don't understand.    :wacko:  

Can someone please enlighten this poor confused soul?

TIA

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:03 PM

Hello wpgwpg! 

Please follow these instructions. They may seem long, but this post will include extensive instructions for those who may not understand how to host an image as well as how to insert an image in a signature. 

The forums here on BC require images to be hosted before you can insert the image. In order to insert the image within a post, you must first save the image onto your computer and then 'host' the image on a separate image-hosting site.  

Not all forums on BC accept attachments because of bandwidth limitations and security reasons. 

All forums on BC DO allow you to insert an image (or images) after you have hosted the image. 

Hosting an image:

1. Save the image you want to use onto your hard drive using one of the following methods: 

Place your screenshot in Paint or other photo-editing software and save to your hard drive.

Right click on an image online and Save as
Rename the image

Click on Save. The image will now be saved on your hard drive

2. To host the image and get a link to your image, you will need to use one of many image hosting sites. Some recommended sites which are also free include Imgur, PostImage and TinyPicSome sites may require registration. Next, please do the following:

Open the image hosting site of your choice in a browser (or click on one of the links listed above)

If an account is required, Sign up or Log in

Once you are ready to upload an image, find the Upload section and click on the Browse button

Find the image you saved on your computer and click Upload or Submit

The image will transfer to the host site, and it will display several options that include different links

Click on the Direct Link and Copy the link to your clipboard

Use the Direct link to Paste the link into your post (see Insert an Image next)

Insert an image into a post on BleepingComputer:

1. When you want to insert an image in a post on BC, use the Image button in the tools Editor:

image_button.png

2.  Click on the Image button as shown above

3.  A separate window will open that says Image Properties, and you will see a blank URL box

4.  Paste the Direct link that you copied from the image hosting site into the URL box

5.  Click OK

6.  You should now see the image in your post. Click on Save Changes once you are satisfied with the content of your post

How to insert an image into your signature (see Signature Rules below) on BleepingComputer:

You may also display a small (size width 500 pixel by height 90 pixel) image in the signature of your profile on BC. First you need to Host the image as directed above. Note: When hosting an image, you can choose to resize the image on the image hosting site in order to make it smaller. Next, proceed with the following steps:

1.  Copy the IMG link 

2.  Go to My Profile

3.  Click on My Profile and Edit Profile Settings

4.  Click on Signature. A window will open to Edit Signature

Signature Rules

Please note, your signature may contain:

• One image.

• Images in signatures must be no larger than 500 pixels wide x 90 pixels high.

• Any links in signatures cannot be commercial in nature or they will be removed by BleepingComputer. You may not put links in your signature soliciting donations unless you are in certain member groups. Those member groups that are allowed will be expressly notified. If you have a personal website or off-site help resource, that is more than fine, but you cannot sell products or services through your signature. Multiple links to the same site, unless for a very specific reason, are not permitted in a signature and will be removed.

• Signatures are limited to 5 lines or 2000 characters; whichever comes first.

Use the Editor tools and the Image button (as instructed in step 3 above) to paste the Direct Link that you copied from the image hosting site into your signature field.

Click Save Changes

Please let me know how it works or if you have any questions at all. After doing it once or twice, you'll get the hang of it very quickly  :) 

~Stolen

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:39 PM

Testing with Imgur

http://imgur.com/ek18RiL

Hmmm, OK, back to the drawing board.  

ek18RiL.jpg

Ah ha!  Now lessee, what did I click on to get the above?

ek18RiL.jpg

OK, that was HTML image, then paste.  I think I've got it.  Pages bookmarked.  

Thanks Stolen!   :thumbup2:    Much appreciated.

Pardon me for editorializing but for the life of me when you can buy hard drives for around $60 per TB, I can't understand the reasoning for making folks jump through these hoops.  Oh well, now I know how to do it.

Edited by wpgwpg, 05 June 2014 - 02:53 PM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:26 PM

Pardon me for editorializing but for the life of me when you can buy hard drives for around $60 per TB, I can't understand the reasoning for making folks jump through these hoops.  Oh well, now I know how to do it.

It's not just about storage. There is the legal aspect of having to monitor content and have a dedicated take down team to respond to notifications of infringement.

Glad you were able to successfully post an image with Stolen's assistance.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 wpgwpg

wpgwpg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:30 PM

OK, that makes sense unfortunately.  @#$% lawyers!   :lmao:

Thanks animal.

#6 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:49 PM

Thank you wpgwpg, and you are very welcome.  

Cute puppeh btw :)

#7 nickautomatic

nickautomatic

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 20 December 2014 - 04:34 PM

Got to try this.

#8 Saska01

Saska01

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 05 January 2018 - 03:25 AM

Unless an image is copyright,& even if it is,if it's out there  'in the public domain' without any warning that it's subject to copyright - which legally it has to ,otherwise it's almost aiding & abetting illegal downloads - then there's no need to worry about any legal aspect re.attachments. A Jigsaw website that i use comprises i'd say ,50 % of legal PC wallpaper downloads, & has done since it's inception without any 'legal problems. 

I use 2 dedicated websites for musicians on a daily basis.They both have the 'paper clip' attachment facility. Almost on a daily basis,i post photos cribbed from the i/net as aids to understanding any technical items that i might post - 18 years on one website & 13 years on the other without any 'legal' problems.

Your methodology of making attachments is  dreadfully long winded - 'purely my opinion',& i can't understand any reasoning in your post regarding 'legal' aspect. You can monitor the content of your web pages regardless of 'how' attachments are made - or should be able to ?.

This website is the most useful i've found for info. & help re. PC matters,but how much better it would be if we could easily attach pics.etc.to get help for ourselves & for the better understanding of others. All the items that i've wanted to post as examples,have been 'screen shots' showing 'errors' of one sort or another,sometimes easy to display but hard to explain in words.

A simple warning within your website about uploading 'copyright material would have been fine - so why not allow a simple ''copy & paste' function for attachments ?.

This is NOT a criticism of Bleeping Computer as a website,just one regarding it's lack of a commonly used 'function'.

Edited by Saska01, 05 January 2018 - 03:26 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users