Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

third party updates for XP yet?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Alduin's Khajiit

Alduin's Khajiit

• Banned
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:34 PM

When Windows 98 was taken off the support list, several third parties started making their own updates, hotfixes, security patches, ect for quite some time afterward. so does Windows XP get the same treatment? is there anybody creating third party updates for Windows XP yet? if so, where?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:01 PM

No there is not. Why anybody would trust 3rd party security updates is beyond me. If they are not from Microsoft they are not security updates and in my opinion NOT safe., Who knows what they are and whats in them?.

Edited by NickAu1, 04 June 2014 - 08:19 PM.

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:11 AM

At the current time, I don't know of any group providing 3rd party updates for XP. And if there were, times has changed since Windows 98, I'm not sure if it would be legal. Though MS has dropped support for XP, it doesn't mean than anyone else can step in & pick up the slack, the XP OS & it's components are still the property of the Microsoft Corporation & I doubt that MS will sell the OS off to the highest bidder.

Additionally, any such updates, as NickAu1 has pointed out, could bring safety issues.

I just don't see it happening. For the time being, most software providers are still supporting XP, Oracle Java being the first major exception, but this will eventually dwindle away.

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 05 June 2014 - 03:25 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,384 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:26 AM

@ Cat

We spoke about this a while ago in the end of XP thread and in pm.  People are getting desperate and are looking for these updates, It wont take long before they start showing up on  Some Pirate Sites, And torrents.

Heres how I see it.

An update will show up by some hacker on a site, People will download it, and install it thinking they are security updates, During the install you will get the option to  " Automatically Apply New Updates"  As we know its not hard to set up a server some place and have the new " Automatic Updater" connect to that server.  Thats where the problems will start, As you gave permission they ( The Hackers) will be able to scan your pc, How else will the "Updater" know what you need, And install what ever they want. They will have your IP because the "Updater" will tell them each time you log onto the net. And, Firewall, What Firewall? You will have given permission for that during the install of the "Updater"

Can you say BotNet.

Edited by NickAu1, 05 June 2014 - 12:32 AM.

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:21 AM

Nick, that may just be how XP falls, many of it's users will do it to themselves, in the manner you stated & the bubble will burst.

I very much dread this day, but one way or the other, know it's coming. There are many that will fall for anything, w/out thinking about what can happen tomorrow. I mean, it happens with some Windows 7 users, many allows things to install that they *think* they need, just because the message in the box says so. I've learned not to trust these boxes long ago, it takes only a minute to run Belarc Advisor to make sure all apps are updated.

It's really scary, the thought of tens of millions of computers that would be at risk.

Think before you click.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:38 AM

The lack of logic...behind anyone who would install updates for a MS O/S...that are not distributed by MS...is incredible.  Unless Windows has become an open source O/S, the idea that such could/would be done...is somewhat ridiculous, IMO.

I don't recall anyone developing critical updates for Win 98...I do recall that several websites banded together summaries of SP1, 2, and 3 and perhaps included some historical critical updates which had been released by MS...and these websites made those packages available to Win 98 users who were fighting the tide.

Louis

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:38 AM

The computing field had broadened so much since 98. Great question though.

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:53 PM

I do recall (& used) an unofficial SP5 for Windows 2000 a few years back, however I verified the source of the update pack prior to installing & scanned with several AV/AM apps before installing, plus ran a backup. There was originally going to be a SP5 for W2K released to the public, however XP was rising fast, MS wanted it's users on the OS (just as with 8.1 now). So SP5 that would have included most all post SP4 updates/hotfixes was never released by MS.

That unofficial SP5 (or portions of it) was compiled by MS engineers, but allow me to state, for the record, there was no support from Microsoft for these packs, even though the OS was still supported at the time. None whatsoever. If such a pack is released for XP, the same rule will apply. To be honest, since I strongly doubt that MS ever considered an SP4 for XP, there won't be a source to compile from.

Having stated this, I won't post any links, not that everyone would be in a scramble to get it anyway, it's that I feel that it would be improper on my part to do so.

The computing field had broadened so much since 98. Great question though.

:thumbup2:

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users