Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repair Install Of Xp Pro, Cannot Copy Files.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 26 May 2006 - 09:27 AM

Background: Dell 5150 laptop. Had problems with mobo. Replaced with a new Dell 5150 laptop, so now I have a new computer and some spare parts from the old one!

Windows XP Pro w/ SP1a is what came on the computers, and I have the original Dell Operating Sytem disks (for XP Pro w/SP1a). Of course, the computer has been fully updated with SP2 and all other updates.

I am attempting a repair install, and all went well until approx 29 minutes to go. Then I cannot copy files from the disk. I looked at the disk and it looks like it might be scratched, so I used a different disk, same issue.

It seems I am stuck in limbo with this now.

Because I have some spare parts I even swapped out the Optical drive, no difference. Still can't copy certain files, starting at about 29 minutes.

When I hit F8 at bootup I can get to the booting menu, but nothing will work. I end up getting an error that 'setup cannot run in this mode', or sometimes setup just runs, depending on what selection I make.

So there you have it! Any ideas of where to go from here? I do not want to reformat, I just want the repair install to complete.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2006 - 02:17 PM

The chances that 2 different XP install discs being bad in the very same spot is very slim, unless one disc is a copy of the other.

Anyhow, the booting procedure is now stuck trying to complete the installation process. You need to boot from the XP install disc, reformat the partition (use the full formatting procedure) and try to reinstall all over again. Hopefully this time the install disc will be read correctly.

I have come across an XP Home Upgrade install disc that would pop up an error message that said a particular .HTM file was corrupt. Fortunately, this file was not crucial and pressing the ESC key passed over that bad file and the remainder of the install went smoothly. Perhaps your situation may be similar.

If the install gets stuck again I would then suspect the optical drive of being in need of a cleaning. Perhaps you should clean the lens first before attempting to do anything else with the drive.

EDIT:
I reread your post -- the chances of both optical drives being bad in the same way is extremely unlikely, too.

Edited by pascor22234, 26 May 2006 - 02:20 PM.

#3 PurpleSky

PurpleSky

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 26 May 2006 - 02:22 PM

Sounds like bad ram. Test your ram. Memtest.

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2006 - 04:26 PM

The chances that 2 different XP install discs being bad in the very same spot is very slim, unless one disc is a copy of the other.

Agreed. But these are two identical original DELL cds. For sure one of them has a scratch. The other one is pristine, in fact has never been out of it's cover until now.

Anyhow, the booting procedure is now stuck trying to complete the installation process. You need to boot from the XP install disc, reformat the partition (use the full formatting procedure) and try to reinstall all over again. Hopefully this time the install disc will be read correctly.

Yuck! You are going to tell me bad news like that on my birthday? :thumbsup:

Well, I got it to complete the repair install. What I did was reboot and allow the setup program to run with the pristine cd until it could not copy a file (in the same place in the installation as always.) Then I inserted a different cd, a OEM XP Pro w/SP2 cd from my main computer (that I am posting with now). Then the laptop was able to copy the files it needed to proceed. After copying files it then asked for the DELL cd, so I put the dell cd back in and it finished and now at least it boots. I have not had time to check things out to see if everything works ok yet.

Perhaps SP2 had something to do with it? The laptop had been updated with SP2 and all other updates, and the install disks only had SP1a.

Don't really know what happened.

How this all started was I installed Internet Explorer 7 (beta). It didn't work right, so I rolled back to IE6. Then I noticed that System Restore wasn't working. And after a couple of error messages I did a sfc /scannow and allowed that to complete, however things were not any better. So I decided upon a repair install, and then this all happened.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2006 - 04:55 PM

Albert, the disk with the scratch on it you can use Brasso and a dry cotton cloth to polish it just put a dab of Brasso on the cloth and rub in a circular motion, after you think you have polished enough rinse with warm water, dry with another clean cotton cloth and wipe with alcohol. You are done and have a really clean disk.

#6 ignorant 1

ignorant 1

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2006 - 05:29 PM

Hi, I seemed to have a similar problem with the addition that I could not even exit the setup process, and as Pascor stated I had to reformat and that seemed to solve the problem.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 27 May 2006 - 05:53 PM

You would need to make a slipstreamed copy of the original disk that would have SP2 also.

Not having SP2 on the disk while it was on the computer may have added to the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users