Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Issue

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Dawgyman121

Dawgyman121

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:23 PM

I own an Acer Aspire with Windows 7 Ultimate on it that only has an 80GB HDD, and I managed to get a 320GB HDD from a laptop, so I tried to switch the hard drives but it doesn't seem to work. The hard drive is plugged in properly and my computer recognizes the HDD but continues to say that Windows fails to start and even though it gives me the option to start normally or repair, it doesn't work. It says it's successful but after a restart, it goes back to the same.

The current 80GB HDD is from an older PlayStation console which happens to use the same HDD's as laptops.

I would greatly appreciate it if I could get support on this because I would love to be able to have more memory on my PC.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,409 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:33 AM

How did Windows get on the 320GB hard drive?

#3 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:34 AM

Before the Windows installation routine begins, it takes inventory of all of the hardware available on the machine it's being installed on and then installs itself to run on that hardware. So, if you then take that hard drive out of that computer and plug it into another, more often than not it won't work, or work correctly, because the hardware is different.

Solution: Reinstall Windows.

Edited by SpywareDoctor, 05 June 2014 - 09:36 AM.

#4 Dawgyman121

Dawgyman121
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:25 AM

Well if I am correct, the laptop that the hard drive was in, already had Windows 7. I'm not sure if that means the Hdd has Windows on it or not. But as for reinstalling windows on it, I am not sure as to how to do that but I have somebody coming today to do it for me.

#5 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:34 AM

Excellent, that should solve the problem.

As I stated above, since Windows 7 installs itself to run on the hardware it sees, if you then move that installation (that hard drive) to another computer, it probably won't work, or work right.

Edited by SpywareDoctor, 05 June 2014 - 10:35 AM.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,409 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:43 AM

Okay, that's what we were all thinking.  When Windows is installed a lot of things are configured for the system the drive is in.  Moving a drive to a machine with different hardware may or may not work, more frequently not.  A fresh Windows install should resolve your issues.

#7 Dawgyman121

Dawgyman121
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:27 PM

Okay, so I managed to fix the hdd problem but now I have a new one. I use a 802.11n USB Wireless Network Adapter and have lost the driver disk but have managed to get a driver for it. Now, my problem is, it will not detect any wireless networks even though everything else in my room can detect it. What could my problem be and how can I fix it? I have restarted the router multiple times and still nothing.

#8 Mistersprinkles

Mistersprinkles

• Banned
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:39 PM

Are you sure you got the right driver? You should be able to download drivers from the part manufacturer's website. Shouldn't be any problems. 

#9 Dawgyman121

Dawgyman121
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:42 PM

It could be the wrong driver but I am unsure and unfortunately I am unable to download the driver from the manufacturer's website because I cannot access the internet with my computer.. Hahah. This is terrible.

#10 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:25 AM

Use a different computer to download the correct driver to a USB flash drive.

#11 Dawgyman121

Dawgyman121
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:28 AM

So, I found the correct driver but my computer won't open the file. It loads but never actually opens. This has got to be the most frustrating thing ever for me. -.-

#12 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:14 AM

Little nano USB WiFi adapters start at $6.59 with free shipping. I've had good luck with the EDUP and EDIMAX brands.

#13 Dawgyman121

Dawgyman121
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:01 PM

I will definitely look into that. Thank you all for the help :)

#14 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:03 PM

No problem. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users