Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

best way to share folder via local network with ONLY ONE other pc

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mattbiel

mattbiel

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:58 PM

I have a small office with about 10 pc's, all running Windows 7.  We have a couple of network shares set up that everyone can access.  I have two people handling accounting and I want them to be able to share a separate folder (located on one of their machines) between them on the network that only they have permission to access.

So far I have created the folder on PC-A, created an admin account on that pc that matches the credentials of the admin account on PC-B, and told it to share the folder with that user.  However, I cannot get PC-B to access the folder unless I also allow it to be shared with "Everyone".  Is there another/better way to do this?

Thank you!

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:44 PM

So put a folder on one machine and grant access to it for both.  You can goto the

folders properties and edit who has rights to it.

#3 mattbiel

mattbiel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:34 PM

I have the folder on one machine but don't know how to grant access to just one other computer on the network.  Can you tell me in detail how I would do that?

#4 Gotcha_Hotshot22

Gotcha_Hotshot22

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:00 AM

Using the permissions tab, right? I'm not really sure how to allow specific remote users to access this folder but can easily adjust it for local account. Hopefully someone will know.

Thanks,

Daniel

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:00 AM

Does each person have their own log in?

You can connect to it with something like this:

NET USE S: \\COMPUTERA\SHARE /USER:COMPUTERA\ADMIN PASSWORD

Where COMPUTERA is the computer name for PC-A.

SHARE is the name of the accounting share

ADMIN is the name of the administrator account

PASSWORD is the password for the administrator account.

At 10 machines you're on the top end of a network without going with a server.  I would highly recommend going to a server as soon as possible as it will make user, file and print administration much easier.

The correct method of doing this would be to have all the users have the same user name and password on all 10 machines.  Then share the accounting directory with the people who need access and give them the appropriate level of access.

There are two aspects to a network share, there are the share rights and the drive rights, your access is the most restrictive of the two.  Everyone may be able to connect to the share, but if they don't have the rights to the files they don't have access.

NEVER use deny.  Rights are denied if not given.  Using deny normally causes more problems than it will ever solve.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users