Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Double click speed - how to change?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:57 PM

I work as a volunteer instructor in a group providing computer practice and training, mainly to the elderly, in the use of their own devices, and this one has me puzzled. The computer is a Packard Bell EasyNote TE 69KB running Win 8 - not a touch screen - and its owner has nerve damage in his right arm that reduces both the sensitivity and flexibility in the fingers of his right hand. He was having problems with double clicking and I said 'Easy, we'll cut the speed down.'

I am not overly familiar with Win 8, I don't have a computer of my own running on it, but anyway. Top right corner, Charms, the cog wheel, control panel, mouse / trackpad. I found a couple of controls for the mouse but not for double click.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please. If Win 8 doesn't have a double click speed control it will be the first version of Windows I have run into since 3.x that doesn't !

Chris Cosgrove

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:47 PM

I'm currently on my Windows 8.1 Pro system, and my mouse applet does have the ability to change double-click speed.  It's under the "Activities" tab.  I don't have a touchpad because my only Windows 8.1 systems are desktops.  I tried to copy and paste the actual mouse applet window, but it doesn't work.  It says

"Because of your browser security settings, the editor is not able to access your clipboard data directly. You are required to paste it again in this window.
Please paste inside the following box using the keyboard (Ctrl/Cmd+V) and hit OK"
However when I do that, it still doesn't paste anything.  I'm using Chrome with default security settings and don't know what I need to do.  I've seen numerous posts with graphics here, but I'm stumped.  I'll try in a minute with Firefox & see if that's any different.
 I wonder though.  Would the guy you're trying to help be aided by a real mouse?  They're certainly cheap enough.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:53 PM

Son of a gun - with Firefox it works!  Ain't technology wunnerful!  It's possible that I installed the MS Intellimouse driver on this system, so you might want to try that.  You can download it from the MS site.  Whoops - it pasted here, but when I clicked Post, it said "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community."

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,284 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:02 PM

Hello Chris.

In WIndows 8.1 and I assume also 8 the double click speed is in the "Ease of Access Settings":

Edit: I do not think this will work as you have already looked at mouse settings in Control Panel. I believe if you do not see the Double Click settings, it would be a driver issue as wpgwpg pointed out.

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 June 2014 - 07:18 PM.

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:30 PM

From Control Panel, click on Hardware and Sound, then under Devices and Printers click on Mouse...

aeDvO8r.jpg

In the Mouse Properties window, look under the Buttons tab...

ZHsv9dY.jpg

That's where it is on my Windows 8.1 laptop.  I don't think it should be any different on Windows 8.

BTW, you can get to the Control Panel faster by pressing the Windows Key + X then P.

#6 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:35 PM

From Control Panel, click on Hardware and Sound, then under Devices and Printers click on Mouse...

aeDvO8r.jpg

In the Mouse Properties window, look under the Buttons tab...

ZHsv9dY.jpg

That's where it is on my Windows 8.1 laptop.  I don't think it should be any different on Windows 8.

BTW, you can get to the Control Panel faster by pressing the Windows Key + X then P.

Please tell me the secret to pasting these screen shots in here!  As I mentioned above, it's not working when I try it.  TIA

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:37 PM

wpgwpg, you don't have to quote me in order to reply - it's unneccessary.

Anyway, you have to upload your image to an image hosting site like Photobucket, ImageShack, Imgur, etc.  I'll use Imgur as an example since it doesn't require registration.

1.  Go to Imgur here.

2.  Under Upload Images click on Computer.

pBp2RsA.jpg

3.  In the Explorer window that opens, navigate to the image you wish to upload and double-click it.

4.  In the next window, click on Start Upload.

y1NO9Zd.jpg

5.  When the upload is completed, right-click the link under BBCode (message boards & forums) and select Copy.

SmerGNg.jpg

6.  Paste the link into your forum post.

7.  Copy the Deletion Link if you would like to delete the image at a later date.  Be warned though that the image will be deleted from your forum post too.

#8 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:58 PM

Thanks Agouti.  I take it you're another ordinary user like me, so the following comments are for the moderators and other official types here at BC.  WHY??? I really like BC, except for this, but why make us go around our elbows to get to our thumbs?  This is sooooo counterproductive and so unlike everything else in Windows.  I know MS does something similar and CNET doesn't allow any kind of graphics, but surely BC isn't using these two as role models ARE THEY?  Please enlighten this poor confused soul!  TIA

P.S. Pardon me for ranting, but this just stirs my juices!   :dance: 

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 6,874 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:31 AM

Thanks for all the answers - I will be in touch with a Win 8 computer today so will check them so that I know what to do next Tuesday.

As for your question about posting images wpgwpg, I don't know why Grinler set it up this way, but here is the link to Stolen's latest instructions on the subject :-

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/536686/how-do-i-post-a-screen-shot/

Thanks,

Chris Cosgrove

#10 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:15 AM

Please enlighten this poor confused soul!  TIA

P.S. Pardon me for ranting, but this just stirs my juices!   :dance: 

If BC hosted every person that wanted to post an image on their servers... it would probably double the amount of storage required. Remember, we don't pay anything to post here, and BC does have expenses, I'm sure.

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 6,874 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:25 PM

I am happy to say that this problem has been resolved, the double click speed has been throttled back and the user is much happier.

It turns out that he has 8.1 on his computer and the route to the control panel is not intuitive, shall we say ?  It turns out that to get to the control panel you click on 'Search' in 'Charms' and type 'contr'. That's enough for auto-complete and the control panel list turns up. From there it is straight forward and little different from any other version of Windows.

Why the change I have no idea, but I am fairly sure that in 8.0 you accessed the control panel directly from the cog wheel symbol. Grrrr !

Chris Cosgrove

#12 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:06 PM

I am happy to say that this problem has been resolved, the double click speed has been throttled back and the user is much happier.

It turns out that he has 8.1 on his computer and the route to the control panel is not intuitive, shall we say ?  It turns out that to get to the control panel you click on 'Search' in 'Charms' and type 'contr'. That's enough for auto-complete and the control panel list turns up. From there it is straight forward and little different from any other version of Windows.

Why the change I have no idea, but I am fairly sure that in 8.0 you accessed the control panel directly from the cog wheel symbol. Grrrr !

Chris Cosgrove

Chris, it sounds like this guy is a perfect candidate for Classic Shell.  It's free and it gives you the legacy Start button and menu back along with the look and feel of older versions of Windows.  He'll never have to use those Windows 8 charms again unless he wants to!  :)

#13 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 6,874 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:30 PM

@wpgwpg #12

You may well be right about the application of Classic Shell, but I'm not certain if this user has used anything other than win 8 / 8.1, in which case using Classic Shell with the appearance of the Win 7 GUI will only confuse him further !  For myself, I go with the opinion I saw expressed elsewhere on BC - that Win 8 is the beta for Win 9 !  In which case there will be no major re-builds in this household until sometime in 2015 !

By the by, if I can put my Mod hat on for a  moment - you very seldom need to quote complete posts since all posts (with very rare exceptions) stay in the topic forever. Especially in this case as the post you quoted was immediately above your own.

Chris Cosgrove

#14 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:08 PM

Good advice, Chris.  I'll be sure to remember that.  :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users