Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD and wont start up

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 izombie616

izombie616

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:01 PM

Hi, when we start the computer up it acts like its going to start up normally but then theres the BSOD for a split second and then it tries to start up again and same thing happens again and again until I hit escape. Then it brings up a black page with options that say "Launch Startup Repair" and "Start Windows Normally". When I hit start windows normally it goes into the BSOD loop. The Launch startup repair has a recovery screen that comes up but there was never a backup restore point so it cant go back to anything, and the other options end up not working. Im not sure how to fix this. My other computers have Windows 7 but it came installed on them so I dont have a disk or anything for it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:17 PM

I take it you don't have a system backup to an external hard drive that you could restore from.  That being the case, go to another Windows 7 system and make a repair disc, boot from it and try the repair.  To make the repair disc, find a 32 or 64 bit Windows 7 the same as yours, then click Start -> Control Panel -> Backup and Restore -> Create a system repair disc.  Insert a blank CD-R and it will make it.  Take it to your computer, boot from it, and do the repair.  Hopefully that will fix the problem.  If it doesn't, you'll need to boot from a live CD (Like Ubuntu Linux), save any data you don't want to lose, then restore to factory settings.

Good luck. 

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 izombie616

izombie616
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:10 PM

Ok I will try that. Another question: Could this be caused by a virus? The computer did have that Department of Justice moneypak thing on it, but it was only on my dads account, not my moms. I was going to use the malwarebytes and hitmanpro on it to get rid of it but I never had a chance because this happened. So if I create a backup from my other computer would that virus or whatever survive the restore? Thank you.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,560 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:16 AM

Moved topic to Am I Infected forum.

Louis

#5 izombie616

izombie616
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:31 PM

I made the CD from my laptop and put it in the other computer and it lets me "boot" from it but after the files are loaded it takes me to the desktop background and I can see the mouse cursor but theres nothing to click and nothing happens when I push ctr alt del. If I take the disc out at this point it says error and then goes to a black screen that says BOOTMGR missing press ctrl alt del to restart. When I do that it just restarts to that same page. I dont even get the page that can take me to the BIOS or the black screen with "launch startup repair" or "start windows normally". Im just stuck on the blank background screen.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,072 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:11 PM

Moved back to WIn 7 per request.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:53 PM

I made the CD from my laptop and put it in the other computer and it lets me "boot" from it but after the files are loaded it takes me to the desktop background and I can see the mouse cursor but theres nothing to click and nothing happens when I push ctr alt del. If I take the disc out at this point it says error and then goes to a black screen that says BOOTMGR missing press ctrl alt del to restart. When I do that it just restarts to that same page. I dont even get the page that can take me to the BIOS or the black screen with "launch startup repair" or "start windows normally". Im just stuck on the blank background screen.

If the repair disc doesn't attempt the repair, it makes me think you have a hardware problem.  Could be as simple as a scratched CD or a dirty CD/DVD drive.  It could be a bad hard drive too.  Those are the least expensive things it could be in order from a 10 cent CD-R to a $50 hard drive.  I suppose it could be a power supply too, but if it's a motherboard, it'll be time to buy a new computer in all likelyhood.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#8 izombie616

izombie616
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:56 PM

The windows 7 CD I made got me as far as it saying starting windows and then the background screen where normally we could choose which account to log in as and the password. Before the BOOTMGR missing thing started and I still could have the repair options it did a scan and everything came back normal as far as the drivers and hard drive (also the hard drive itself was replaced last year). When I boot from that cd it loads files but theres no options to repair or anything. What is the boot from live CD option, how is that done?

#9 izombie616

izombie616
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:25 PM

Update: I made an Ubuntu live dvd and when I put it in that computer it asks me if I want to try it or install it, or install as an option for a manufacturer, or test my disk for errors. Ive tried to "try" ubuntu and test my disk but as soon as I do either one it goes to a purple page and you can kind of make out the word ubuntu in the background and some kind of loading bar but its all flickery and bouncing all over the place. Once it loads it looks like theres icons or something but they are all flickery as well and I cant tell what any of it is. Does this sound like a problem with the version of ubuntu or something with my disk or the hardware itself?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,560 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:49 PM

I made the CD from my laptop and put it in the other computer and...

That should NOT be expected to work.  A recovery disk from a laptop is made for use ONLY with that system...it's not an install disk that can be used on other systems.

Louis

#11 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:11 PM

can you boot in safe mode?

#12 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:28 PM

Update: I made an Ubuntu live dvd and when I put it in that computer it asks me if I want to try it or install it, or install as an option for a manufacturer, or test my disk for errors. Ive tried to "try" ubuntu and test my disk but as soon as I do either one it goes to a purple page and you can kind of make out the word ubuntu in the background and some kind of loading bar but its all flickery and bouncing all over the place. Once it loads it looks like theres icons or something but they are all flickery as well and I cant tell what any of it is. Does this sound like a problem with the version of ubuntu or something with my disk or the hardware itself?

Ubuntu should boot and work just fine.  It's worked for me on 6 computers (all different makes & models) I have at home and a number of others I support and have helped others with.  That's the nature of Ubuntu and Mint.  If they don't boot and run, it could possibly be due to some hardware incompatibility or hardware problem.  It is extremely rare for Ubuntu not to boot up and work without having to install it. 

That said, I haven't seen any details on the make and model of your computer.  Is it possible you have some highly esoteric video or possibly a damaged video card?

#13 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:31 PM

I made the CD from my laptop and put it in the other computer and...

That should NOT be expected to work.  A recovery disk from a laptop is made for use ONLY with that system...it's not an install disk that can be used on other systems.

Louis

Louis, what you say is true for WINDOWS, but not Ubuntu, which is a version of Linux.  I expect you know that & just missed the word Ubuntu in izombie616's post.

izombie616

#14 izombie616

izombie616
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:17 PM

I cannot boot in safe mode anymore. The only thing I have when I turn the computer on is the message "BOOTMGR Missing" press ctrl alt del to restart. And if I restart it goes to the same message. Ubuntu loaded but it was unaccessible due to the blurred images and bouncing around. I cant get into the BIOS, safemode, anything.

#15 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:46 PM

If you can't get into the BIOS, you've got a really serious problem.  Either failed hardware or something like a boot sector or CMOS virus.  I think I'd take it to be serviced.  That'll be expensive, probably $150 to $200, but given your situation I can't see where you have much of a choice unfortunately.   :dance:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users