Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen of Death (random and crazy)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ang2018

ang2018

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:48 PM

Hi-kudos for all the experts here. Been reading the forums and still no luck.....

Fujitsu TH700 laptop...winodws 7....

started experiencing the black screen of death randomly yesterday. safe mode was always ok.  (only thing new yesterday was installed a tplink wieless usb which i have now removed).

i thought it was fine this afternoon but when i close the laptop and try to get back in from sleep mode it goes all black.

Have run malewarebytes-all clean

Have run Adwcleaner - all clean

Have run Driver Fusion to update drivers

Have run CrapCleaner to clean junk files and registry

Any ideas on what to try next??

thanks!!!!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:56 PM

If you only have a black screen...just how did you run the above apps you claim to have used?

In any case...IMO, a black screen is likely to be a hardware problem and running any application isn't going to address that.

Is This your system?

Did you try to boot into safe mode?

Louis

#3 ang2018

ang2018
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:02 PM

Wow you are quick :-)

The black screen occurence is quite random (which is what makes it frustrating). So all was well, closed up laptop, tried to log back in and viola, black screen again. It has always been fine in safe mode.

Yes that is my system (about three years old0. I am running crashplan and dropbox so its more a frustration factor than worrying about my files.

Is there any way to check the "heath" of the video card? I read in another forum that in safe mode the video drivers are very basic so the black screen wouldn't appear-not sure if this makes sense but trying to figure out how to isolate the problem.

thanks!

If you only have a black screen...just how did you run the above apps you claim to have used?

In any case...IMO, a black screen is likely to be a hardware problem and running any application isn't going to address that.

Is This your system?

Did you try to boot into safe mode?

Louis

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:08 PM

Try running Malwarebytes & your antivirus in Safe Mode.  Some malware can hide in normal mode.  

Two other things you could try would be (1) do an SFC /SCANNOW from an elevated command prompt, and (2) try doing a system repair.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 ang2018

ang2018
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:12 PM

ran malewarebytes in safe mode-nothing found.

Try running Malwarebytes & your antivirus in Safe Mode.  Some malware can hide in normal mode.  

Two other things you could try would be (1) do an SFC /SCANNOW from an elevated command prompt, and (2) try doing a system repair.

good ideas

ran malewarebytes in safe mode-no problem

sfc /scannow didn't find a problem

i think  i narrowed down the problem though. it always seems to occur coming back from sleep mode. so if i close my laptop  and then open it i immediately get the black screen of death.

thanks!!!!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,819 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:50 PM

While in safe mode...I would uninstall the current graphics drivers...then reinstall same from Gateway/Acer website for your model system.  They may be damaged (happens often) and hibernation/sleep issues are sometimes related to the graphics drivers :).

Louis

#7 ang2018

ang2018
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:57 PM

While in safe mode...I would uninstall the current graphics drivers...then reinstall same from Gateway/Acer website for your model system.  They may be damaged (happens often) and hibernation/sleep issues are sometimes related to the graphics drivers :).

Louis

Does this work only in safe mode since only basic graphic drivers are installed then? I have this fear of uninstalling the driver and suddenly the screen goes blank :-)

so stupid question...i know how to uninstall the driver (there is a button that says uninstall). How do i install the driver? just go to fujitsu's website and download the current driver after i delete it?

thanks!!!!!!

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,819 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:45 PM

http://support.fujitsupc.com/CS/Portal/supportsearch.do?srch=DOWNLOADS&Series=T%20Series&Model=TH700&ProductType=Notebook%20PC

You can download the correct video drivers.

If you uninstall the current video driver, then reboot...Windows will use the same basic graphics drivers that it uses in safe mode :).  The reason for installing drivers specific for your system is additional capabilities (more resolution options).  As safe mode attests to...the system can work fine (but with limited resolutions) if one does not install the specific drivers intended for that system.

To uninstall the drivers...Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.  Scroll down to Display Adapters.  Double-click the detail for that...click Drivers tab...push Uninstall button.

Then...reboot and go into normal mode...and install the graphics/video drivers which you have previously downloaded to your desktop or Downloads folder.

Louis

#9 ang2018

ang2018
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:12 PM

http://support.fujitsupc.com/CS/Portal/supportsearch.do?srch=DOWNLOADS&Series=T%20Series&Model=TH700&ProductType=Notebook%20PC

You can download the correct video drivers.

If you uninstall the current video driver, then reboot...Windows will use the same basic graphics drivers that it uses in safe mode :).  The reason for installing drivers specific for your system is additional capabilities (more resolution options).  As safe mode attests to...the system can work fine (but with limited resolutions) if one does not install the specific drivers intended for that system.

el

To uninstall the drivers...Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.  Scroll down to Display Adapters.  Double-click the detail for that...click Drivers tab...push Uninstall button.

Then...reboot and go into normal mode...and install the graphics/video drivers which you have previously downloaded to your desktop or Downloads folder.

Louis

Great instructions! followed them to a T (was  a little scary as the intel device driver took a while to run)...it is a higher version number than what i had (and the fujitsu driver utility aid i was up to date. grrrr). i'll report back tomorrow if it seems to fix the problem. thanks so much!

i am thread jacking my own thread but one more question about something i've noticed....when i boot and log in, the desktop icons are initially all fine (correctly color, type) but then as the boot process continues many icons become white folders and then when the booting is done, they are all fine again. does this mean anything?

thanks!

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,819 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:23 AM

Means nothing...just Windows adjusting itself :).

Louis

#11 ang2018

ang2018
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:15 PM

Means nothing...just Windows adjusting itself :).

Louis

Thanks!

So thanks to everyone! it seems ok now (though time will tell......) no real answer for anyone reading this with a similar issue. i downloaded a driver updater utility from cnet and upgraded every driver. then removed and reinstalled the tplink driver that was installed around the time all this happened. then turned off malwarebytes and returned to microsoft security essentials. so essentially no idea but my guess was the removal and reinstall of the tplink driver. thanks again for everyone's help! awesome resource.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,819 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:45 AM

:thumbsup2: , nice work :).  We'll be around if you have problems.

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users