Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Graphics Card, not working...

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 ndonaldson2912

ndonaldson2912

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:45 PM

Hi guys,

Had a nvidia 9800GT graphics card in my MESH PC (Vista 64bit) and it stopped working overnight. Fan still spins but no display. Bought a new nvidia 210 and installed it today, but still no picture and fan still spins so obviously power still getting to it. When using onboard graphics, the new card isn't appearing in device manager. Have installed and reinstalled drivers etc but still nothing. My PSU is 350w which is 50 more than recommended. Can't seem to figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Norm

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:05 PM

Look for blown or bulging capacitors on the motherboard: https://www.google.com/search?q=blown+or+bulging+capacitors+motherboard&client=firefox-a&hs=CAJ&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=np&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=1XuPU-nNFoWqyATgxoKYBg&ved=0CCEQsAQ&biw=1272&bih=766

Don't forget to plug in extra power to the video card if needed. Some of those cards require an molex power cord directly plugged into the card.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:05 PM

Hi Norm, let's gather a little bit more information about your computer system. Please follow my instructions below.

Do what ever it takes to get your computer running with graphics first, Okay?

• Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.png button.
  • Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.
  • You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.
  • After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.
  • Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    p22004369.gif
  • Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot
  • You will see the following prompt:
    p22004371.gif
  • Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
    p22004372.gif
  • Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.
  • Congrats! You have just posted your specs!

Once you have posted your Speccy snapshot, it will be reviewed and a reply will be offered to you as soon as time permits.

Thank You For Choosing Bleeping Computer For computer related Help And Assistance

Once I have that information I'll have a better understanding of what we are working with here.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 04 June 2014 - 03:10 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:25 PM

I looked into the 210 a bit more, it does not appear to require added power. It looks like it gets power from the pci-e lane. Look for blown or bulging capacitors as posted above speccy will help as well.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,845 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:04 PM

I have seen this before and a close inspection of the MOBO, underside, at the PCI slot used by the original card.  Trace back the five volt and twelve volt lines  to check for plate thru holes from one side of the board to the other.  Look for discoloration and dull appearance to solder joints.

#6 ndonaldson2912

ndonaldson2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:32 AM

Thanks guys for the help. I will have a look at mobo and will post speccy. If capacitors are blown, what does that mean? Can they be repaired or is it game over?

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:33 AM

You can replace capacitors if you have soldering experience and the tools to do it. It is not all that hard but it is quite easy to damage traces if you don't have experience. New capacitors are pretty cheap. Sometimes replacing them does not fix the problem.

In most cases I would recommend replacing the mainboard if you do not have soldering experience.

Another thing that might help is resetting the cmos... You can do this a few ways, the easiest is to do this is to go into the bios using F1, F2, or delete, and then load the default values. You can also use the cmos jumper on the main board which is generally located close to the small button cell battery. Or you can unplug the computer from the wall, and pull out the button cell battery. I recommend hitting the power button on the computer after you have unplugged it from the wall to drain the remaining power from the capacitors in the psu, then pull the button cell battery and wait about 10 seconds. Put the button cell battery back in, plug the computer in and this should reset the cmos as well.

#8 ndonaldson2912

ndonaldson2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:33 PM

Hi guys. Following on from your advice, I checked the mobo and cannot see any blown or bulged capacitors. Would a bios reset be the next step?? My motherboard is an Asus M2N68-VM

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:31 PM

I would recommend trying a bios reset for certain. If you have any ram or cpu o.c. settings, write them down somewhere so you can re-enter them later.

#10 ndonaldson2912

ndonaldson2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:41 AM

Done a bios reset by taking out and replacing cmos battery. Unfortunately no change. Still not being detected in device manager, just picking up on board graphics card...

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:44 AM

Do you have more than 1 pci-e slot? I would try the video card in all slots if you have more than 1. It is possible that you got a brand new card that is bad. It might be worth taking the computer to a tech shop where they can test with known working components to rule things out.

If neither of the video cards work in any of the slots, my guess would be a motherboard problem or possible PSU problem... Generally my first step would be to try with a different psu.

#12 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:48 AM

That crossed my mind but it appears the board does only has a 16x PCIe slot and a closed 1x slot which won't accept a 16x graphics card (without some sort of modification or riser cable).

PR7fWettevi6urIN_500.jpg

7sbvuf-6.png

#13 ndonaldson2912

ndonaldson2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:35 AM

Even though the fans on the graphics card, could power be an issue? I had a 500w psu and changed to a 330w when it broke. Could this be why both my old and new graphics card are not working? If it's getting power would it show on device manager?

#14 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:06 AM

It could easily be the psu, the 12 volt rail gives fans power generally, it does not mean the 3.3 volt and 5 volt rails are ok. Psu's are so easy to repalce it is a good component to rule out right away. 

If it isn't getting power you won't see it in device manager because it never got initialized at a bios level, you wouldn't see it in the bios either.

Edited by zingo156, 09 June 2014 - 11:07 AM.

#15 ndonaldson2912

ndonaldson2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:13 AM

Ok, I will replace the psu. Graphic card requires 300w minimum. Would a 330w be sufficient, or should I go for a 500w?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users