Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to keep Server logged in after RDP session is closed?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kindleman

kindleman

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:25 PM

I have used winautomation to automate mouse clicks on my VPS (Server 2008 R2).
However, the application will not work if windows is log off. And windows will be log off each time I end my RDP session. Is there any ways to keep the windows logged on after the RDP session have ended?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:31 PM

Disconnect from the RDP session rather than logging off, and the session will stay running and can be reconnected to at will. The red x that closes the RDP window will normally do that.

There are settings which will log out RDP sessions that are idle for too long (these are commonly used on remote desktop session hosts to tidy up disconnected remote desktop user sessions for users who have not logged out properly) but as long as none of those are in use, your session will keep running.

x64

#3 kindleman

kindleman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:50 PM

I used the close button of the RDP session. It didn't work. any setting i need to do?

#4 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:40 PM

The only thing that I can think of are the group policy settings mentioned in this article

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754272.aspx

x64

#5 kindleman

kindleman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:21 AM

Thanks for advice. Tried the following but didn't work for me.

Click Start , type gpedit.msc in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER .
Configure according to your advice: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754272.aspx and configured it the following way.

ig9tz8.jpg

#6 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:37 PM

To be honest the only way i can see you doing this is to run (Create a service if it isnt alreadya  service using sc command) the service as system, that way as you disconnect rdp, the service/process will still run as it wont be running under the user account but the system.

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 09 June 2014 - 10:38 PM.

#7 kindleman

kindleman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:27 PM

Thanks for all the advice :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users