Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows directory folders

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LeperMessiah

LeperMessiah

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:30 PM

I've been playing around with a new laptop of mine, and at some point I was browsing through the windows folder on my disk. First of all, in the Temp folder, I've discovered a folder called frozen-genpy-27, which got me slightly worried since google search did not return anything in particular, except for a couple of websites with somewhat coherent information, but those websites seemed to be about malware and viruses. Anyways, another folder was called LiveKernelReports. Looking up this one returned more optimistic results, yet still left me uncertain about the purpose of this folder. NOTE: both of those folders were empty when I discovered them.

SIDE NOTE/ ADDITIONAL INFO. The reason I started looking through my computer more carefully is because I used a program called MCPR (McAfee Consumer Product Removal) to remove the free version of that antivirus that was pre-installed on the computer. However, once I went through all the procedures and rebooted the computer I discovered that approximately 15 Gigs of free space disappeared from my disk. Obviously, it got me worried and eventually through searching I found out that I can try to remove all but the latest system restore points - indeed, it did work and out of 15 missing gigs I got about 10 back. Where those other 5 are I still have no idea, but it's not that big of a deal if that's a copy the system made of itself or something, I am more worried it might be a virus, hence this whole post. I am primarily looking for answers about the strange folders, but if anyone out there knows what happened to my computer after I ran the MCPR tool, I would really appreciate if anyone can help me figure out what exactly has happened. Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:38 PM

A few very brief comments....

If it was the official MCPR tool directly from the mcafee website, it is unlikely to have consumed that disk space...

You can explore disk space usage with this tool http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/ . Some of the Windows subfolders might be quite large.. Do not be tempted to manually prune them!..You could seriously damage your system..

System restore points will manage themselves. Unless you are actually critically short of disk space. Let them do their own thing. You might need an old system restore point sometime!..

X64

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:41 PM

I'd say you're likely to find bits and pieces of all kinds of stuff in that temp folder.  Anything there can be deleted safely except for a few things that might be in use at the time.  In addition to restore points, there're Windows updates and possibly updates to  that take space. 

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 LeperMessiah

LeperMessiah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:53 PM

Thanks for the replies!

I can't say that it was the official version of MCPR with 100 percent confidence, but I obtained it from Kaspersky website from an article explaining how to remove mcafee products. It's the space that was gone all of a sudden - and, not 1 or 2, but 15 gigs. I am only worried that something bad could have happened and it might affect my pc in the future, I am not really worried about the space here - there's more than enough left. Also, each restore point I had accounted for about 3-5 gigs of free space that was gone and that was another one of my concerns.

But anyways, I am glad that none of what I've described sounded like something wrong is going on with my computer. 

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:51 PM

I'd recommend using TreeSize Free as x86 suggested.  Since this is a new laptop a lot of that space is probably updates and restore points.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users