Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cursor won't move after startup

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#1 jal540

jal540

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:59 AM

I have a Dell Latitude E6410 laptop running Windows 7 with two active user accounts. When I last logged out of my account, it went back to the screen with account icons. However, the cursor will not move at all, a d the hard disk flashes frequently.

I eventually powered it down and restarted. It boots, starts Windows, and displays the screen with account icons. Still the cursor will not move. Hard drive flashing frequently. Same when I boot it in Safe mode.

When I chose Startup Repair during boot, the cursor moves fine. So, I know there is not a physical connection issue.

The last thing I did before logging out was to modify the accounts monitored by Windows Live Family Safety. However, this problem occurred twice before that (after logout) but for just a couple of minutes.

I have no idea what to do. I searched for this problem extensively, but I did not find one like this ---,mostly failures to boot or login.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:19 PM

Did the system repair find any problems?  What did it do?  If it ran and didn't fix anything, I'd download & install the free version of Malwarebytes, get it up to date, then boot to Safe Mode and do a full system scan with it and my antivirus program.  Be aware that this can take some time to run.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 jal540

jal540
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:15 PM

I cannot move the cursor to login in Safe mode.

#4 jal540

jal540
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:19 PM

Neither Startup Repair, memory diagnoatics, nor chkdsk found any problems.

I tried to run mbam from command line. Got system error - program can't start because MSVBVM60.DLL is missing from your computer.

Is System Restore my best option at this point?

#5 Roburt

Roburt

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:28 PM

Are you using the trackpad or a USB mouse?  Have you tried a USB mouse if not?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:37 PM

I cannot move the cursor to login in Safe mode.

You don't need the mouse to boot into Safe Mode.

With the computer off press the power button, immediately after that start tapping the F8 key and continue until you see the Advanced Boot Options.  It will look like the image below.

abow7_zpsc072f26e.png  

Use the up or down key to navigate to Safe Mode with Command Prompt, then press Enter to select the option.

If the problem doesn't persist in Safe Mode there's a good chance that this isn't malware.  

If it functions please run sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Click on the Start orb and then type cmd in the Search programs and files box.

In the pane above the search box Programs will appear with cmd below it, right click on cmd and choose Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

A page similar to the one below will open.

commandprompt_zps212bc71a.png

Type in sfc /scannow and then press Enter to start the scan.  Please notice the space between sfc and the /scannow.

If the scan finds no integrity  problems in the first portion of the scan it should stop, to be sure that the scan has stopped wait five minutes, then type in exit and press Enter to stop the scan.

When the scan is finished please post the log of this scan.

To find sfc /scannow log, type cmd in the Search programs and files box, 

cmd will appear above the search box under Apps., right click on it and choose Run as administrator, this will open the Elevated Command Prompt.  This will look simlare to the image below.

elevatedcommandpromptw7_zpseba8c499.png

copy and paste the following in the Search programs and files box, then press Enter.  

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  Click on this to open the log, copy it and paste it in your topic. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 jal540

jal540
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:59 PM

I can start Safe mode. This takes me to the Windows screen with account icons. I cannot move the cursor over the icon to log into my account.

I will get a USB mouse and try to find the location of the sfc command.

#8 jal540

jal540
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:42 PM

I plugged in a usb mouse and can now move the cursor. I clicked my user acct icon but found I cannot type anything on the keyboard. I cannot type my password to log in. No clue what to try from here

#9 jal540

jal540
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:02 PM

I restarted, F8, and chose Repair Your Computer, selected my username and entered password (***NOTE:kayboard and mouse worked here!). Selected command prompt and entered sfc/scannow. Error said:"There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete."

Restarted and repeated these steps, with same result.

#10 jal540

jal540
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:06 PM

Hard disk light flashing every half second during this too.

#11 jal540

jal540
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:15 PM

When I was at command prompt (above), it showed hard disk,as "X:". I thought that was strange. When I did "dir" command, it says: "Volume in drive X is Boot"

#12 jal540

jal540
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:05 PM

Did a system restore and logged in. Ran Malware Bytes. Found several types of malware.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:46 AM

What version of Malwarebytes did you run?

Please post the Malwarebytes log.

To find your Malwarebytes log,download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop.

To open the log double click on mbam-check.exe on your desktop.  When the log opens, scroll down toward the bottom of the log to Quarantined Items.  Copy and paste this in your next post.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#14 jal540

jal540
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:03 AM

I just went through all this for a second time, restoring the OS again.  Forgot to mention: When this occurs, I fix it, and run Malware Bytes, I get this error initially: "Malware Anti-Malware database is missing or corrupt" and have to download the database again.  So, this malware is apparently wiping that.  I am running a full scan on my computer and will post the log.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?    

#15 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:45 AM

...and run Malware Bytes, I get this error initially: "Malware Anti-Malware database is missing or corrupt" and have to download the database again.  So, this malware is apparently wiping that.  I am running a full scan on my computer and will post the log.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?    

I had this problem before and queried it on MBAM forums.  The explanation I got is whenever you do a System Restore it corrupts and breaks the synchronization between MBAM and the database, that's why you are getting that error message.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users