Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Harddisk Volume name not being displayed correctly

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nidhink1995

nidhink1995

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:34 AM

I use windows 7 ultimate edition - 32 bit
I have a Toshiba Harddisk of storage capacity 1 TB. When I first bought it, I renamed it to "TOSHIBA".
At first, the computers to which I connected my external harddisk showed the correct names but over time, the computers started showing the name as Local Disk.

The disk management menu has the correct name (TOSHIBA).
When I use the safe mode, the name is correctly displayed.

Some where in the net I saw about using autorun.inf files to change the volume label.
But when I rename notepad file in the harddisk to autorun.inf it doesnot get renamed. And change back to previous name itself. Not even in the Safe mode. ( I am the admisitrator) 

How can I make windows to display the correct volume label?

P.S:  I have tried plugging in it various computers with windows 7.
         All computers show the harddisk name as Local Disk in normal mode and TOSHIBA in safe mode.

I plugged it in a computer with Windows XP.  It showed correct name in normal mode.

Edited by Andrew, 04 June 2014 - 12:32 PM.
Title change by request

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:11 PM

Hello, and Welcome

In an admin account open Computer. Right click on the External drive, select Rename and type TOSHIBA. Does the name stick at when you safely remove and then attach the drive again?

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 June 2014 - 01:12 PM.

#3 nidhink1995

nidhink1995
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:18 PM

Hello, and Welcome

In an admin account open Computer. Right click on the External drive, select Rename and type TOSHIBA. Does the name stick at when you safely remove and then attach the drive again?

Thanks for your reply JohnC_21

Nope.. Thats the first thing I tried to rename it... The Name doesnt stick to it.. It returns to Local Disk.

Then I checked diskmanagement - The Name was correct.

Name is displayed correctly in -Disk management and Safemode.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:53 AM

Try this. First safely disconnect the drive. Reboot the computer. Attach the drive.

Type cmd in the search box. Right click > Run as administrator

Type the following with the Toshiba drive attached.

label X: TOSHIBA

X being what your drive letter is for the Toshiba drive.

I think this is the link about changing your autorun.ini file. Do you use any USB vaccine program like Panda? It looks like a Permissions issue and the Poster Shuey solved it by adding "SYSTEM" to the security properties of the drive.

#5 nidhink1995

nidhink1995
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:02 PM

Try this. First safely disconnect the drive. Reboot the computer. Attach the drive.

Type cmd in the search box. Right click > Run as administrator

Type the following with the Toshiba drive attached.

label X: TOSHIBA

X being what your drive letter is for the Toshiba drive.

I think this is the link about changing your autorun.ini file. Do you use any USB vaccine program like Panda? It looks like a Permissions issue and the Poster Shuey solved it by adding "SYSTEM" to the security properties of the drive.

Thanks JohnC_21 For your reply..

I tried the cmd trick but it shows

"Access denied as you dont have sufficient privileges. You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode."

I opened the command prompt by running as administrator.. But NO Use..

And I already have "system" in the security properties.. :mellow:

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:59 PM

See if this works. In Disk Management change the drive letter of your external drive. You should only do this if the external drive is for data only. Then go to Computer, Right click the drive that now has a different letter and change the name. Does the name stick after a reboot? If it does, go back to Disk Management and change the drive letter back to it's original. Hopefully the name will still stick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users