Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Keyboard or Mouse won't work and can't boot because of it

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TwoLabs

TwoLabs

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:57 AM

Hello all!  First post here, hoping for some help.

One of my secretaries' computers USB keyboard and mouse all of the sudden decided not to work when attempting to wake it up from sleep.  So she was forced to hold down the power button to turn it off and turn it back on.  Its running Windows 7.  Well now on boot up, it stops at a DOS page that says, 

"The last attempt to resume the system from its previous location failed.  Attempt to resume again?  

Option 1)  Continue with system resume  
Option 2)  Delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu."

However since the keyboard isn't working, I can't select either one so we are stuck on this page.  Things we've tried:

- Tried every USB port on the back and front
- Tried different USB keyboard from known working keyboards
- Turned completely off, power cable unplugged
- Turned completely off, removed CMOS battery to reset BIOS 

I'm completely stumped.  The only thing else I know to try but can't right now is with a serial port keyboard.  I have a usb to serial converter at home but left it there this morning, naturally.  Any other ideas besides trying a ps2 keyboard?

Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:10 AM

I'd boot from a repair CD.  If you don't have one, go to another Windows 7 PC, click Start -> Control Panel -> Backup and Restore -> Create a system repair disc.  Use a 32 or 64 bit system to match the problem PC.  Insert a blank CD-R and it'll create it.  Then boot from the repair CD on the problem computer.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 TwoLabs

TwoLabs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:18 AM

That sounds like a good idea but does it require the use of "Press any key"?  Just as a shot in the dark I put in the original Windows 7 installation disc to see if it'd boot up and it went back to the same screen.  From the instructions I've read on how to boot with the installation or repair disc, part of the instruction says to "Press any key" on boot up.  If that is the case, I won't be able to since the keyboard doesn't work.

Thanks for the tip!

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:31 AM

The repair disc would work if your problem is software.  If it's hardware, the only thing that's going to work is a repair technician to fix it.  I've seen repair discs work when the install disc didn't.  I think it's worth a try.  If you really want to see if it's hardware, you could try booting from a Linux disc like Ubuntu or Mint.  They're pretty easy to make.  E.g. see ubuntu.com/download.  

Re the PS2 to USB converter, I've tried that with mice, and it doesn't work.  I don't know about keyboards.  That's worth a try too I guess.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,930 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:33 AM

If your mouse and keyboard do not work in BIOS menus, I would say it was a hardware problem and not a Windows issue.

#6 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:39 AM

Unplug the keyboard and boot the computer without it

What error message is displayed?

Are there beeps?

#7 TwoLabs

TwoLabs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:45 AM

Just tried the repair disc and it didn't work.  Came up to the same screen.  

And Roodo, I just tried that.  No beeps, it goes through the normal bootup screen showing the Motherboard, HDD, stuff I can't understand...then the screen refreshes and it says:

"Windows Resume Loader"

The last attempt to resume the system from its previous location failed.  Attempt to resume again?  

Option 1)  Continue with system resume  
Option 2)  Delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu."

And of course at this point I can't select either option.

#8 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:26 PM

Sure sounds like a hardware problem, but I'd try booting from a Linux Ubuntu or Mint disc to make sure.  If that doesn't work, it's time for the technician to repair it.

#9 TwoLabs

TwoLabs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:06 PM

SOLVED!

Here is the thread and solution:

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/146708-resume-system.html

Thanks all for the suggestions!