Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost partial internet connection

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Racket_Man

Racket_Man

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:27 AM

After upgrading from IE 10 to IE 11.  I am fairly sure (not toally positive) this was the cause.

I am running an HP PAvilion with WIn7 Home Premeium 64bit

Several months ago I had a malware infiection mostlikely through a drive by download of a program called Sendori.  I was able to sucessfully remove the infection.  During that time I turned off my Auto-install of Windows updates and did them manually.  I held off installing IE11 for a bit.

For a time I forgot I had shut off the Windows auto-install.  About a week ago the prompt reminded me of updates.  I installed all the major updates except for IE 11 and a coupld of .NET framwork updates as I did not want to overwhelm my system.,  tThe installs did create Restore points. 

Once I got the other updates installed I let IE 11 and the .NET framework update install.  Once my computer rebooted I tried to open up IE 11.  It tried to go to my home page but IE said the page could not be displayed.  And it was my normal homepage.  Somewhat unsusal.  I then tried to update MBAM 's databases.  MBAM said it could not connect.  I then noticed that Norton Internet Security had a red check in it.  I opened MIS and tried to manually perform an update.  Same thing as MBAM --- could not connect.  I tried t6o update my older version of AdAware and was it able to update.  I then opened SpyBot S&D (V1.6.2) and it was able to update.

I opened my local area connection status window and noticed that there was little activity BUT it showed (what I asume was) a goodly number of received bytes.

I then performed a System Restore to the last known good update I did a few days before.  Once the machine rebooted everything seemed normal.  I could update NIS and MBAM and access the  internet through IE 10.  I assumed that the restore worked.  I have done restore before I thought I did everything correctly.

MBAM (I have the paid version) prompted me to update to the latest version 2.0.2.1012.  I let that download and install and MBAM said it needed to reboot the machine to install fully.  Without thinking I let the machine reboot (not remembering the >NET Framework and IE 11 updates).

After reboot the same thing happened as described above.  IE 11 could not access even my home page and MBAM could not update.  I did another system restore to the know good point.  Again I thought I did everything correctly.

After the reboot I still had IE 11 installed and partial internet connetion.  I again openned up the Local connection and found bytes received was moving.  I opened up Windows update and found 2 or 3 new IE 11 updates.  Now Norton popped up with an error and MBAM  still said it could not update.  I went back to theSystem Restore and discovered all of my restore points were gone.

At this point I am at a loss to under stand what  happened.  I m writing this on my Daughters OLD laptop (Win XP mostly updated) with intermitant connection (I may hook it up to my cable modem but then again I may need my PC to be connected to I can run various things).

I have in the past let Windows install IE .NET updates with no problems.

Any help or insight would be appreciated.  Please NOTE that I may seem to be unresponsive at time but this is because of my work schedule (I work second shift and the laptop may not be available for a day or so.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:38 PM

If you are connecting directly to your cable modem this may be part of your issue.  Some Internet Service Providers (ISPs) locked the cable modem to the device it is connect to it.  In order to connect a new/different device you need to power cycle the cable modem.

I would recommend if at all possible to connect through a router.  A route makes it easier to connect multiple devices to your Internet connection and provides a level of security by dropping all non-requested information.

When your Internet is not working run IPCONFIG from a command prompt and see what your IP address is that will be helpful in determining where  your issue is.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:53 PM

I guess I'm wondering why there is no data re normal surfing, etc.  Are there connectivity issues there?  Does your email work properly?

The fact that you have problems with all of your system defense mechanisms...doesn't point to a connectivity issue, IMO...but a malware issue.

Louis

#4 Racket_Man

Racket_Man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:18 AM

My e-mail is web-based so without a web browser I can not access it through my PC.  I have to use my daughter's creaky laptop

SOme of my defences are disabled NOT all.  some are able to get through including Windows(several Win updates have been downloaded and the number of bytes received cooresponded to the Win updates AND the SpyBot and the AdAware downloads)

Also this is the only PCconnected to my cable modem.  I have no other devices connected physically or wirelessly.

The last scans I was able to run IE. Norton, AdAware, MBAM showed no infections

I will try and power off and reboot the machine and power cycle the cable modem.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:34 AM

Uninstall IE11 and see what happens.

To uninstall go to Control/Panel/Programs and Features.

Click View Installed Updates on the left side of the page.

Let all the updates load, then scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section. Look through the list for Windows Internet Explorer 11. You can then uninstall.

If you have Windows Updates set to automatically install IE 11 will eventually reinstall. I suggest you change the update settings to Download updates but let me choose whether to install them.

You can then look at the list to see if IE 11 is listed when updates are available and choose NOT to install it.

You can also hide it so it will no longer be available as an update. To hide, you will have to watch for it to be available as an update. RIGHT click on the update, then choose Hide update. Later on you can, if you want to reinstall, UNHIDE the update.

#6 Racket_Man

Racket_Man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:37 AM

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I now have IE 10 reinstalled (or at least that is what about IE About button says) and I am writing this post from that. Here is what I did:

There was one additional Windows critical update (IE 11) so I let it install during the next step.
Powered down my computer and then power cycled the cable modem to reset everything.

Re-booted the machine to the same results as I stated in my OP ie. limited internet connectivity and no IE 11 MBAM or Norton connectivity.

I installed the latest version of Firefox and tried that to no avail.

I then, as per Queen-Evie's suggestion, went to my Windows Installed Updates and uninstalled IE 11. The computer rebooted and came up as it normally would. I tried FireFox but it would not connect (I will try uninstalling and reinstalling it later to try and reset things as it was installed when IE 11 was installed)

I then tried IE and it connected to my normal home page. I then tried and connected with my web-based e-mail and that worked. I tried a few other sites I regularly frequent (including here) and they all seem to work.

I think the problem with MBAM has something to do with upgrading from 1.75xxxx to the new 2.0xxxxx. I briefly browsed their forums and saw one post with the same problem I have been having ie. unable to update and a few other problems. Their solution is to uninstall/reinstall the program so that is what I plan to do.

Norton seems to have been damaged and I will have to slog through that situation once I get IE 10 back as my primary web browser (yes I will keep FF as a backup).

Again thank you to the Bleeping Computer community for you help and suggestions and for imparting me a little more knowledge than I had before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users