Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP had detected a problem ...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JazziGurl

JazziGurl

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:29 AM

I attempted to start my husband's pc this morning & this is the information I received:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time your are seeing this error message, restart your computer. If you see it again, follow these steps:

Disable, uninstall antivirus, disk defragmentation or back up utilities; check hard drive configuration and check for any updated drivers. Run CKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption

Then restart.

Stop

0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x8A5F0DE8, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)

I tried restarting the pc in safe mode with commands to try running CKDSK /F but all the pc did was run some white text and then give me that error message again. Never gave me a chance to enter any commands.

What can I do to get the computer up and running again?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:49 AM

Do you have an XP install disk?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 JazziGurl

JazziGurl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:54 AM

The manufacturer is a Dell Celeron D ... I have a cd that says ~~ contents: drivers, diagnostics and utilities, online documentation, modem on hold??     The software is already installed on your computer. Only use this CD to reinstall the software.

#4 JazziGurl

JazziGurl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:26 AM

Not sure if I should try this or how ... any help or instruction would be welcome

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:19 AM

Because you do not have an XP install disk, you can create a bootable disk following the steps here. It is a 30 day trial which will let you boot to a command prompt and do a chkdsk.

One the disk is booted, select the command prompt window in the menu area. The drive letter will probably be "X:\"

At the command prompt type:

CD C:\ 

Then type:

chkdsk /f 

It will ask you to unmount the drive. Select Y then enter. Let it complete the disk check then reboot the computer.

Note: This stop error can be cause by a corrupt file system or by a bad hard drive.

91982085.gif

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:21 AM

No...don't try anything with that Dell disc :).

STOP 24 errors can be a number of problems...running the chdksk /r command (not chkdsk /f) is just the initial step in trying to determine exactly what the problem might be.  Problem could a damaged file...a damaged file system (NTFS)..or a failing/damaged hard drive, generally speaking.  The chkdsk /r command includes chkdsk /f, so it is a better command to run than is suggested by outdated MS guidance.

Let's try to eliminate the easiest possibility to handle :).

Follow the guidance by AustrAlien at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/421198/xp-recovery-console-cd/ .

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 04 June 2014 - 11:22 AM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:28 AM

Yes, please follow hamluis's advise and link. I was trying to find that post by AustrAlien. Thanks hamluis. I will bookmark that.

Edited by hamluis, 04 June 2014 - 03:34 PM.

#8 JazziGurl

JazziGurl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:52 PM

I can't get to a screen to let me type anything in .. that's part of my problem ... even in safe mode where safe mode is highlighted, I can't arrow down to safe mode .. I can only enter where it says Windows

I think my husband has called someone from work that was the computer guy ... I want to thank everyone for their help, but this is way beyond what I understand & am comfortable with doing.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:58 PM

Hello,

The above instructions have to be done on another computer. Then once  you have made the bootable CD, use that in the computer with the problem to run chkdsk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users