Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving windows 7 from one partition to another.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 vp17

vp17

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:08 AM

Hello!

My computer has the following :

Local Disk C: size 15.5GB, free space- 188MB

Local Disk D: size 183GB

Local Disk E: size 99.1GB free space- 99.0GB

System Reserved H: size 99.9MB free space- 61.6MB

Right now windows 7 is on C drive and I keep getting the message of having low disk space. As of now only 188MB is free and other than windows there are hardly any other software installed.

D drive has my personal files. Drive E is almost empty and System Reserved H has 61.6MB free on 99.9MB.

I want to shift windows 7 to E drive, which is a bigger drive.

Please let me know the steps in layman's language. 

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:01 AM

Actually, you don't need to shift it, here is what you do.

1.  (*) Look under the windows folder, for a folder called "SoftwareDistribution"  This is where Windows stores all downloaded updates, before they're insalled.  This folder isn't needed.  Delete all folders and files under it.  Some won't delete, but it could clear up hundreds of MBs.

2.  (*) Look for the hidden folder C:\MSOCACHE, and deleted all folders and file under there.  This is the Office equivalent of #1.

3.  (*) Search for, and delete all *.BAK files.

4.  (*) Search for, and delete all *.TMP files.

5.  (*) Search for, and delete all temporary internet files.

6.  Now, if that doesn't help, or help enough, continue on.

7.  Download and burn a CD of the program GPARTED Live CD (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/), it's free.

8.  Completely backup all your critical files off the "C" drive, and verify it is AOK.

9.  Defrag all your drives.

10.  Boot the computer from the GPARTED CD, and it will allow you to resize your partitions.  Basically, you move a "slider" to change the size of the partitions.  Then hit apply, and it does the work for you.  However, depending on the amount of data on the resized partition (e.g. "D" drive, it might take awhile to do).

The problem you'll have is that some programs hard code their install location.  For instance, I have programs that are 32-bit programs, but instead of installing to "C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)" like they should on a 64-bit computer, they author installs them into "C:\PROGRAM FILES", which is the 64-bit program location on a 64-bit computer.  Changing the location isn't that hard when the setup program is created.  So as a result, even if you move C:\Windows to another drive, you may still run into that problems.  Also, some programs hard code the "C" drive windows directory.  I've seen a few like this.

Best of luck!

Edited by scotty_ncc1701, 04 June 2014 - 09:05 AM.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:10 AM

The best way is to reinstall, there is no good, simple way to move the Windows partition.  If at all possible I would recommend purchasing a new hard drive, install the new drive, disconnect the old drive, install windows, shutdown and reconnect the old drive, reinstall your software and copy your data to the new drive.

There are a couple of things you can do to try and free up some space.

Move your page file to a different drive.  The size is this file is normally two times your RAM.  After you move the page file you will want to set No Page file on your C: drive.

Next, move your temp files to another drive.

Now you can delete the files and folders in the old temporary file locations, normally C:\Windows\Temp.  Browse to C:\Windows\Temp.  Select everything in C:\Windows\Temp by pressing CTRL+A.  Press SHIFT+DEL.  Skip any files that it tells you are in use.

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,932 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:14 AM

Hi Vp17,

You can readjust the partitions size if you remove the E: drive to create free unallocated space and then use a partition manager program like the EaseUS Partition Master Free there is a guide here.

Before doing this make sure you have a backup of all your critical files and move what you have on the E: drive to the D: drive before removing the partition corresponding to the E: drive.

I have done this numerous times, the tool is safe and all the operations are done without loosing anything but it's always recommended to have backups in case something go wrong.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,825 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:06 AM

Agree with Sleepy Dude...adjust the partition sizes to give more useful space to C:.  Any number of programs can do this reliably and safely, including the EaseUS program mentioned above (which I am familiar with).

Essentially...make the D: partition smaller by about 25GB...create unallocated space at the beginning of current D: partition.  That will give you unallocated space which can then easily be added to your current C: partition.  40-50GB is pretty much a good size for a Win 7 C: partition, IMO.

Louis

#6 vp17

vp17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:22 AM

Thank you 

hamluisSleepyDudescotty_ncc1701

I downloaded EaseUS Partition Master. Decreased D: by 25GB and extended E: by 25GB. It was so easy and super quick!!!

Thanks a lot!! 

:clapping:

#7 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:02 PM

Great to hear!

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,932 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:14 PM

Thank you 

hamluisSleepyDudescotty_ncc1701

I downloaded EaseUS Partition Master. Decreased D: by 25GB and extended E: by 25GB. It was so easy and super quick!!!

Thanks a lot!! 

:clapping:

:thumbup2:

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users