Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Much ram can my computer take?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GamerNathan

GamerNathan

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:12 AM

Hi,

i am running a HP Compaq dx7400 desktop

it currently has 2 gigabytes of ram in it. And it doesnt do me much good.i would like to know how much ram i can put in it without having to change any other parts like fans or power supplies.

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:54 AM

The maximum RAM complement for that system is 8GB using 4 x 2GB DIMMS. You would need to be running a 64 bit Operating System to utilize 8GB of system memory. With a 32 bit OS, 4GB would be the maximum usable, although some would be inaccessible. The memory complement wouldn't require any alteration to cooling or PSU.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:48 AM

The best way I've found is to use Crucial.com and either scan the system or use the manual method.  If you do the scan Crucial will tell you how much RAM you have installed, how it is installed (how much in each slot).

Adding RAM should not require an additional parts.  You just need to make sure, as Platypus point out, that your operating system will be able to use the amount of RAM you have installed.  You can install more that the operating system will use, but you would need a 64 bit operating system to actually be able to use more than 4GB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users