Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rappour

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BEDO

BEDO

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:45 AM

Forgive me if I'm using the wrong thread.

My bank Santande,r always offers me a download of Rappour. I used this software many years ago when HSBC offered it, it slowed my computer down, I had great difficulty removing it and swore I would not use it again, However,  I am worried that if I don't use it and my account was compromised the bank might use the fact I hadn't  downloaded Rappour not to cover any loss. I use bitdefender Safe pay when visiting the bank which is a VPN. Any advise would be welcome.  

Ron.

My AV is Avast

Edited by BEDO, 04 June 2014 - 03:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:06 AM

Hey BEDO,

I'm assuming Rappour is in a nut shell a vpn?

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,845 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:09 AM

My bank Santande,r always offers me a download of Rappour.

I am worried that if I don't use it and my account was compromised the bank might use the fact I hadn't  downloaded Rappour not to cover any loss

Yes they could, You would have to read their Terms and Conditions ( TOS) or ask the bank about it. Should the bank say no you do not need it, My suggestion is to get it in writing.

#4 BEDO

BEDO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:34 AM

Hey BEDO,

I'm assuming Rappour is in a nut shell a vpn?

Hi Darktune

Thanks for the reply, Unless they have redesigned,  it when I used it years ago Rappour was just a normal piece of software and didn't run in VPN..

#5 BEDO

BEDO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:45 AM

My bank Santande,r always offers me a download of Rappour.

I am worried that if I don't use it and my account was compromised the bank might use the fact I hadn't  downloaded Rappour not to cover any loss

Yes they could, You would have to read their Terms and Conditions ( TOS) or ask the bank about it. Should the bank say no you do not need it, My suggestion is to get it in writing.

Hi NickAu1

Thanks for your comments I might ask the banks security dept, but I don't think they would commit themselves beyond saying you should use Rappour.

I was hoping someone on here might be using  this software and say they have no problem with it, in which it would seem Rapour has debugged the thing. I'm loathe to download it incase it's still the same as it was when it first came out.

Many thanks for your reply.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,087 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:04 PM

....However, I am worried that if I don't use it and my account was compromised the bank might use the fact I hadn't downloaded Rappour not to cover any loss.

Since you are not sure, I agree with NickAu1...contact your bank and ask them if that is the case. Knowing for sure will help determine which way to proceed.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 BEDO

BEDO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:30 AM

Thanks GM. I have since learnt that Rapport is as bad as ever and on no account to touch it..

#8 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,753 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:23 AM

Could it be that you mean Trusteer Rapport? And not Rappour?

https://www.trusteer.com/products/trusteer-rapport

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users