Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop screen going white

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dmnd

dmnd

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:18 AM

My laptop screen goes white after appearance of horizontal lines on it. This happens after running 2 to 3 hours normally. If I connect to an external screen, the external screen works well. I connect to my LED TV screen through HDMI output. After connecting to TV screen, the laptop screen might start working normally again, up to around half an hour more. But once the total running time of laptop is around 4 hours, the laptop screen will not come back. Thought this is due to heating up of screen, I got it replaced. The new screen is Dell manufacture. But this screen is also behaving similar. What else could be the trouble beside the screen or the new screen is also faulty?

My laptop is Acer 5738. Its original screen got a black spot which expanded and then whole screen became white after few weeks. So got it replaced. The above trouble started with the replaced screen after 3 months of use. For 5 months I utilized my TV to run laptop for more than 3 hours. Three days back I got new screen which is DELL make, but right from first day, I am facing the same trouble. In fact, this new screen is giving trouble after only about 1-1/2 hours.

I would like to mention that rarely (maybe thrice in last 5 months, after I plug in ext screen and am working on it) the computer reboots itself without warning.

What is the problem and how can I fix it?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:27 AM

Well, it could be the inverter (info http://www.laptopparts101.com/screen-inverter-board/ ), but for the fact that your lappy worked for a while after the first screen replacement.

So this leads me to think overheating. You can usually open the back panels of a lappy and use, with care, short bursts of canned air to clean out any dust bunnies around the fan or fans. If your machine has dual fans you also could have one of the fans failing or failed. Also, since the problem is so gradual to appear, you might could do with a laptop cooling pad (Google it) to provide a bit more air flow.

Edited by ElfBane, 04 June 2014 - 04:28 AM.

#3 dmnd

dmnd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:21 AM

elfbane

I am using cooling pad for the lappy. After posting my question, I put back the older screen and played a video and it played fine for 3 hours. When I minimized the video player to open another application, the screen was again white, flickery and filled with horizontal lines. So screen was okay for video. I again put back the new screen and it is flickering. I connected external screen and now I can see vertical lines blue, white alternated by flickering and partial visibility. This screen is not showing video too.

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:43 AM

Well, this lappy appears to have a discrete video card. This complicates things. Here's what could be wrong;

1- the Inverter. By far the cheapest to replace, but I don't think that's it.

2- the discrete video card. Check shop for price.

3- the MB. Easily the most expensive replacement. Pricey and labor intensive.

I would access the back of the lappy and try to clean things out and do a visual inspection for obvious damage in the area of the vid card. Look for loose connections and tighten them. Be warned... working on laptops is tricky, it's easy to break cables and connectors, and there seem to be a bazillion screws. Good luck. 

#5 Mistersprinkles

Mistersprinkles

• Banned
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:53 PM

The important part is that any of those components can be replaced with the proper tools and watching some youtube tutorials. The GPU especially would not be difficult to swap out. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users