Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Searchprotection.exe virus causing problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Derekle560

Derekle560

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:49 PM

I recently found a suspicious process running in my task manager called searchprotection.exe. I instantly assumed it was a virus that caused my google chrome homepage to change to "https://search.yahoo.com/?type=599486&fr=spigot-yhp-ch" and every time I do a "google search" where I'd normally place in a web address, it does a yahoo search instead. From the task manager, I opened up the file location and pressed the uninstall button which removed the file, however my google chrome homepage has yet to be reverted. I did numerous scans with Superantispyware and Malwarebytes hoping to root out all remaining traces of the virus. There were no results indicating any remaining infections on my computer, however I feel slightly paranoid that my lcomputer is still infected since google chrome still redirects me to the link I provided earlier. I tried a clean reinstall of google chrome, hoping it would help clean out my system but upon reinstallation, google chrome still redirects me to the site I previously listed, so I assume the problem still remains. Maybe I just have to change my homepage back to my normal homepage but I'm worried my computer is still infected. Any suggestions? 

P.S. When typing in google.com, and when the page loads, does it always have an extension, such as "https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl"? Or was it just supposed to simply be "https://www.google.com". 

Thank you for your time!

EDIT: I also scanned with programs called AdwCleaner and Junkware Removal Toll by Thisisu, however that didn't necessarily seem to solve the problem, just cleaned some other unrelated issues up.  

Edited by Derekle560, 04 June 2014 - 12:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:41 AM

Hello Derekle -

Please read the links below to try and find the installed problem item.

These are the most common solutions to eliminating the pop-up ads.

1. Go to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel or Programs and Features if using Vista/Windows 7/8. From within Add/Remove Programs look for anything in the list above and select Remove.

2. Open your browser and disable (uncheck) all extensions. Make a list, then one by one, re-enable each extension to see if the pop-ups start appearing again with that particular extension. Once you identify the responsible extension...permanently remove it but let me know which one it was so I can update our list.
* How to Disable Extensions in Google Chrome - How to Uninstall Extensions in Google Chrome
* How To Disable Individual Plug-ins in Google Chrome <- try only if the above does not work
* How to Disable Extensions and Plugins in Firefox - How to Remove Extensions/Uninstall Plugins in Firefox
* How to Disable Extensions in Internet Explorer
* How to Disable Add-ons/Extensions in Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome
* How to Disable all add-ons in Firefox, Internet Explorer

3. If the above did not resolve the problem, then create a new browser user profile.
* How to Create a new browser user profile in Google Chrome
* How to Create a new browser user profile in Firefox
* How to Create a new browser user profile in Opera, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome          

Once you complete your search please run this Temp File Cleaner (and then run it every week)

Clear Cache/Temp Files
Download
TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
• Please double-click TFC.exe to run it.

For Vista, Win 7 / 8 right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator

NOTE : It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
• Click the Start button to begin the process.
• Once it's finished press Exit, and it may reboot your machine.
• If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users