Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive slow during gaming but no error

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 megabolod

megabolod

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:20 PM

I have a WD Caviar Black 640gb internal SATA HDD which is my second hdd. My windows drive is a SSD. The WD has become quite slow since installing to my new system, especially when i play games that are installed in this hard drive. loading time is relatively high. also, often mid-game loading happens(during NFS!) along with stuttering (during Transformers). I have turned off indexing, checked for errors but there was none. crystaldiskmark 500mb test shows seq=93/89 512k=45/67 4k=.712/1.872 4kqd32=2.114/1.93. SMART results showed no issues either. I have changed the SATA port and the cable, defraged, error checked. no issues were found. Recently the system started to hang often when playing a game (NFS The RUN) which is installed in this drive (particularly during loading). the frequency of that has increased since changing the sata cable. I keep the AV turned off during gaming.

I used to use the hard drive in my old pc. it had 3 partitions- 2 ntfs (1 for windows) and 1 for linux. Now it has 1 NTFS partition (598gb) with 107GB of data. The access mode is AHCI. my current system is:

AMD FX 4170 Black Edition
Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3
16gb G.Skill Ripjaws 2 x 8GB
Kingston HyperX 120gb SSD (windows drive)
WD 640GB Caviar Black
Buffalo 3TB USB 3.0 External Drive
XFX 7850 DD
Seasonic 640Watt 80+ Gold

Any help will be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Frozwire

Frozwire

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:13 AM

Have you tried scanning your drive with WD Lifeguard Diagnostic Tool?

"Encryption...is a powerful defensive weapon for free people. It offers a technical guarantee of privacy, regardless of who is running the government... It's hard to think of a more powerful, less dangerous tool for liberty...” - Esther Dyson

#3 megabolod

megabolod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:22 AM

Yes. It showed no issues

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users